• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

The Tropical Tidbits ICON precip maps are struggling to pick up on precip types. ICON shows a large swath of rain at 31 degrees when it should be ZR/IP/SN at that temperature.

It always does this. Did it in December storm as well. Model mechanics. Biggest thing is look for lp and hp placement, qpf output

So are we trending south with the low today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a huge improvement! From what I've seen so far, many of the models have the low further north initially before correcting to a more suppressed and OTS look when it arrives in the SE. The HP placement seems to be wobbling a bit on the models. IF it holds in a good position, we will continue to see the surface temps decrease on the models the next couple of days, possibly resulting in a higher impact mix area in the CAD regions.

GEFS and UK both improved. Some positive trends today for sure.

Mike Maze is on board now with concerns for wintry weather this weekend over the NW mountains and foothills of NC.

I believe this is only for far, far NE GA at best if you are looking for wintry precip in GA.
Am I wrong for not punting yet
I wouldn't punt just yet in terms of ice. Looks better than the December system did, and we barely missed it that time. For snow I'd throw that out right now. Our time can be later this month or in a week or two.

I wouldn't punt just yet in terms of ice. Looks better than the December system did, and we barely missed it that time. For snow I'd throw that out right now. Our time can be later this month or in a week or two.
I would punt for my area only since I am on the Southside of ATL

Out to 96 on the euro the system looks a bit south of 0z and stronger in E texas. I'm not sure why I'm doing pbp. lol.

Euro is definitely putting out more precip this run and looking more like some of the other 12z models. Looks to be good snows in the mountains, foothills, and NW of the Triad at 120.

Euro is definitely putting out more precip this run and looking more like some of the other 12z models. Looks to be good snows in the mountains, foothills, and NW of the Triad at 120.
Looks a touch colder, factor in it's warm surface temp bias and it has major written all over it....

I'd like to see ip/zr maps from the Euro, looks like an icy mess

Back