• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

Remember in the December storm the NAM in the extended range had dewpoints that were way too low and adjusted as it came inside 60 hours. I would go with the global model dewpoints for this storm until we get inside 60 hours when the NAM is better.

GFS looks north initially at 78, hard to tell where it'll go from here though.

We're very much in the game as is on the front end, our issue is just getting precip in here before WAA takes over. Pretty much anything that falls Friday night into early Saturday morning is going to be snow. Further south would help us pick up more precip from the initial band ahead of the main wave. The 6z FV3 for example has all of the precip from the initial band passing just to our north. Thermals are supportive of snow, just need the precip.

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png

fv3p_T850_us_17.png

fv3p_Td2m_us_17.png
I can see why your liking the trend now!

Mix for northwest upstate at 108 GFS, snow through mountains

Big winter storm for the mountains, foothills, western piedmont on GFS so far hr114. Below freezing at surface I-85 and NW.

The high and the low keeps trending weaker each run of the GFS. The high seems to be moving in a more realistic direction while the low is just becoming more favorable. Don't let weaker fool you in terms of the high. A 1040 is plenty enough to get the job done for icing with those DPs.

The high and the low keeps trending weaker each run of the GFS. The high seems to be moving in a more realistic direction while the low is just becoming more favorable. Don't let weaker fool you in terms of the high. A 1040 is plenty enough to get the job done for icing with those DPs.
True, but we have several more days to go. Hopefully, it doesn't trend down into the low 1030s and farther north. That's kind of what I'm afraid might happen.

Looks like a hard cutoff from no snow to 3-5 inches, as always
EDIT: Looks like .6 of freezing rain around Greenville/Spartanburg

12z is S of 6z, but precip lines look about same? Pretty farther S, imo

Looks like a hard cutoff from no snow to 3-5 inches, as always
EDIT: Looks like .6 of freezing rain around Greenville/Spartanburg
Got to get temps below freezing to get ZR. Last winter events around here , temps never got below 33/34 degrees

Back