• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

While uncertainty remains wrt whether we see suppression or an amped storm with snow and ice focused moreso in the OHV, interior NE, & mid-Atlantic and fringe snow/ice in CAD favored areas of the Carolinas and perhaps far NE GA, there’s an inherent risk for more amped storms further north in a pattern like this where we have North Atlantic blocking (-NAO) coupled to an strong Aleutian Low (+NPO/+EPO).

When you actually boil down to why this may be true, a lot of this has to do with how the mean flow alters the PDF of phase speeds of waves in the northern and southern branches of the mid latitude jet. Conservation of angular momentum and increased baroclinicity dictate that the background flow that steers northern stream waves is faster while shortwaves within the subtropical jet are on average considerably slower. When you get a pattern with North Atlantic blocking and a stronger Aleutian low, cyclonic wave breaking over the E US and phasing between these two streams is favored because the -NAO decelerates the northern stream waves upstream whereas the strong Aleutian Low/Pacific jet increases the speeds of southern branch systems, making said phases speeds between the waves more comparable and phasing which leads to increased wave amplification more likely thus making stronger coastal lows more likely. A pattern we’ve seen predominate the last several years with North Pacific blocking, SE Canada vortex, and +NAO increases the geopotential height gradient across the breadth of the northern branch of the jet and accelerates the northern stream waves while North Pacific Rex blocking can decelerate the southern subtropical disturbances even more, in addition to increasing confluence over the E US that shears and desmplifies the southern stream wave.

All of the above provides reasoning why timing of the waves may be even more critical in regimes like this with North Atantic blocking and strong Aleutian low and can somewhat explain the variability in storm intensity, type, and preferred regions for cold/snow in specific EPO and NAO base states.

Just some food for thought.

Most globals show the same general themel, UK/Euro/FV/CMC with western Carolinas, southern VA snowstorm with ice potential in CAD regions. GFS more amped.

Most globals show the same general themel, UK/Euro/FV/CMC with western Carolinas, southern VA snowstorm with ice potential in CAD regions. GFS more amped.

Any ice total euro maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to get in the game and you are not in NC, hope that ridge continues to trend westward and stronger and allows the trough to settle farther SW.
Yes, N AL needs that HP much farther to the west.

a8e0d35b0792b366912d450f5a3e7999.jpg
4885727bc6b6ab358f16d07153d1d1ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah another NC event but our time will come.
So far, this hasn't looked like a setup synoptically where a large portion of the SE gets a winter storm. We're at virtually the inception of a potential pattern change from crap to non-crap. Once we get deeper into a better pattern, I would expect many more areas will be looking at the threat of wintry weather.

So far, this hasn't looked like a setup synoptically where a large portion of the SE gets a winter storm. We're at virtually the inception of a potential pattern change from crap to non-crap. Once we get deeper into a better pattern, I would expect many more areas will be looking at the threat of wintry weather.

Agreed, this one favors Western NC and CAD regions for some icing but it's not a widespread SE snowstorm like many want. I think by late January into early February we will have some opportunities showing up for the SE but it's a bit early with the pattern change just getting started in the next few days.

Exactly. It’s really easy to expect a storm to do more than the synoptic pattern allows. I am so guilty of trying to pull a storm my way but really the synoptics don’t even come close to favoring my area haha. If the pattern evolves like current models show then it is virtually impossible for this storm to deliver the goods to any large portion of the SE.

It’s just not quite the right setup.
There could always be that 1% chance of a massive model shift but we know how that goes.

The good news is that this storm will likely setup and signal the begining our pattern change. It will also dump cold air into our area for a few days which will be a nice Change of pace since it’s january 7th haha.

And it’ll build that all important snow pack up north for the remainder of the season!

I mentioned this earlier either here or on the Jan blog, most near the I-20 corridor will have to wait for the EPO to tank before getting a really good sniff of the action.

Back