• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

The June Thread 2021

I love @SD's map better. More apply shows the level of Suchage....

Although Shane deserves some runner up awards for nailing the dry slot within the actual rain. He only gets Runner up because he at least got something.

1622816019636.png

When you’re gone, your place will probably have a storm everyday and and about 4 inches of rain for the week...lol. Seriously though, I do feel for ya missing the rain the last couple days... I’ve managed to actually pickup a little more than an inch with most of that coming today. I think y’all just west of me have just had some bad luck. Overall things still look good for a typical summer pattern for the most part going forward and we may have a couple wedge boundary setups as well.

We leave Thursday evening so hopefully I can experience a decent storm beforehand. I will be on vacation till the following Saturday. Hoping to come home to lush grass/trees. But then again, everything is lush and green compared to Los Angeles.

Here in Greenville if the Tar river gets low enough we start to see tidal influence. It's something that really only happens in dry periods during the summer. The river had reached that point so you can see the up and down water levels. Then you can see the rapid rise from the heavy rains.
Just curious but does that bring up any red fish or sea trout?

Hoping the gfs is out to lunch with next weekend wedge look. Going offshore fishing on Sunday and it looks less than desirable. Always add 5-10 mph to any wind forecast is the go too rule when going offshore.

ADD 2~3 ft for the swell/wave forecast.. (calling for 2~3) you can bet, it'll be 4~6 ft come Sunday with 15~20 winds

Flounder will sometimes make their way up this far in really dry years. Closes I've ever personally caught drum or trout is just at the mouth of the tar river and tranters creek in and around a town called little Washington.
Curious, so at the end of the ice age there was no sound system , it was all just flood plain. Eventually the waters rose , land sank a bit and it flooded and formed the sound system. Wondering if that process is still ongoing and if the land around Greenville is sinking and sound creeping a bit inland .
?

Curious, so at the end of the ice age there was no sound system , it was all just flood plain. Eventually the waters rose , land sank a bit and it flooded and formed the sound system. Wondering if that process is still ongoing and if the land around Greenville is sinking and sound creeping a bit inland .
?

I'm sure. We were under water here a long time ago so it will likely happen again. We go to a park here in Greenville and go in the creek and find all kinds of fossils from whale bones to fossilized sharks teeth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-142947_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-142947_Gallery.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 14
?

Sea level rise will certainly change things....as it rises it will push the saltier water further inland turning swampland into marsh land...you can see that happening already in many places..A lot of swapny areas along the feeder creeks to the sound have gone from woody freshwater swamps to brackish grassy marshlands.

Sea level rise will certainly change things....as it rises it will push the saltier water further inland turning swampland into marsh land...you can see that happening already in many places..A lot of swapny areas along the feeder creeks to the sound have gone from woody freshwater swamps to brackish grassy marshlands.
Goose creek state park is a very good example , when you walk on the boardwalk you can see dead trees and the informative boards along the boardwalk explain how it used to be a freshwater swamp until hurricane Floyd I think ? Now it’s a brackish grassy marshland .

Last edited:
I'm sure. We were under water here a long time ago so it will likely happen again. We go to a park here in Greenville and go in the creek and find all kinds of fossils from whale bones to fossilized sharks teeth.
You can find marine fossils up to the fall line. I never tried exploring the little river or moccasin creek for fossils. What do you look for ? Do you dig in or something ?

Back