• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

I rather take my hit now with a mild early/mid December to get a cold and stormy late month into Jan, where climo matters more.

No, having a colder than normal winter doesn't necessarily mean that there would be more snow in the southeast. There could be cold blasts after cold blasts and still not end up with nothing, but maybe some flurries. Even if it's a warm winter overall, places in the southeast can still experience snowfall. The lower latitudes can experience all types of extreme weather in a short period of time during the winter. I've seen places in the southeast get accumulating snow after a tornado outbreak. So yeah, I don't think it really matters.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
It's really a matter of timing. a good example of this is 1927, which I believe was NC's warmest or one of the warmest on record. Yet we still got a record-breaking snowstorm in early March. Truly anything can happen. Colder winters just increase the chance of a shortwave meeting up with colder air.
Graphic courtesy of Webb's site
march-1-3-1927-nc-snowmap_4_orig.png
january_9-11_1927_nc_snowmap.png

cd98.121.115.247.332.10.39.6.prcp.png

It's really a matter of timing. a good example of this is 1927, which I believe was NC's warmest or one of the warmest on record. Yet we still got a record-breaking snowstorm in early March. Truly anything can happen. Colder winters just increase the chance of a shortwave meeting up with colder air.
That’s a beauty. Hard to even fathom, honestly

january_9-11_1927_nc_snowmap.png

cd98.121.115.247.332.10.39.6.prcp.png

That's also the only winter on record where 2 one foot snowfalls occurred in the same winter in Greensboro.

That’s a beauty. Hard to even fathom, honestly

Definitely happened though, here's a few jaw dropping pics from Goldsboro, NC. This looks like something you'd see in North Dakota...

Goldsboro NC March 1927 Pic 1.jpg

Goldsboro March 1927 Pic 2.jpg

GEFS and UK agree with 1"+ QPF for tomorrow into Sunday. The GEFS has trended really nicely for the 40 corridor.

GEFSprecip.gifdownload.png

CMC is not backing down, rain/snow mix far south as far northern Alabama and Northern Georgia. I wouldn't be surprised to see some flakes mixing in with the patchy light rain across northern Atlanta suburbs Monday AM.
fd7b132ed1065a38bfe093d05c1b5e08.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I would be willing to bet that the March 1927 snow in NC happened mostly at night, early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. Hard to get that much snow during the middle of the day in March in NC due to the sun angle.

I would be willing to bet that the March 1927 snow in NC happened mostly at night, early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. Hard to get that much snow during the middle of the day in March in NC due to the sun angle.

Sun angle means nothing when you’re talking about a blizzard. 93 started around 10am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the tales by my grandfather (may he rest in peace) it did fall at night. They had no idea it was coming until they awoke to see all the snow that had fallen overnight.

So which run is right ?

Afternoon ensembles :

Attachments

• 0D29CC3E-4895-4EE9-B4D7-FC6D6B52D7F1.jpeg
    0D29CC3E-4895-4EE9-B4D7-FC6D6B52D7F1.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 54

BAMWX

@bamwxcom

Also for the record I do not care what these models are showing DEC 15th+ we still believe they are simply incorrect. #natgas #energy #AGwx Bamwx.com
Nope, this monstrous Gulf of Alaska trough in the extended as we experience +EAMT this week will flood the North American continent w/ mild Pacific air & most of the cold air will remained bottled up in extreme northern Canada or exit stage right over the Atlantic Ocean. I hope u like stale, Pacific air.

View attachment 26633
Not so fast!☃️! BAM says the models are wrong! I would agree if they were showing cold!?

There are some eps members with snow down your way on the 4th and 12th

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That look N.C.highcountry posted, is tent worthy! Really a good look, I wish it would set up just for a week or two!☃️?

Back