• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

42acf45c96b717077300b5dd4008c279.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Happy Thanksgiving Shane. I thought you was somewhat intrigued about winter due to the +IOD but maybe not now?

Yeah, our cold early December, went poof! And about that -NAO, good times!
Still is going to end up below average for the first part ... and we did have a -NAO for like the past two weeks .. just cause u have a -NAO doesn’t mean ur always guaranteed strong cold attacks .. everything has to line up right .. and we have yet to see anything resembling a torch on models .. having a fairly normal December will be a win after everyone’s been crying for an absolute torch fest all December

“Golden” years... Huntsville, AL’s snowfall average has been virtually cut in half from nearly 4” from 1950-1985 to about 2” from 1986 to present. It’s all a matter of perception and I’d hardly call the more modern era “Golden”.
Exactly. And a quick anecdote. I moved here in 2010 from Tuscaloosa and in the first winter we had something like 20" over four storms, and for three of those storms, the snow didn't even melt completely between them. I was thinking what an awesome place this must be. The next winter was a dumpster fire but the following two had great cold and some snow. Since 2014 it's just been sad, I think we've been below our 2" climatology all of those years except for maybe one. Sure it's better than Tuscaloosa, but it's only narrow swathes of Alabama have cashed in during the past 5 years.

It only *seems like the southern TN valley has had above normal snow in the 2010s, but relative to normal going back to 1870? Nah. Just a funhouse reflection of 'normal' really.

This is not horrible for mid Dec, to be honest.. granted Pacific turns into a mess after that, lol: 1575009172442.png

Exactly. And a quick anecdote. I moved here in 2010 from Tuscaloosa and in the first winter we had something like 20" over four storms, and for three of those storms, the snow didn't even melt completely between them. I was thinking what an awesome place this must be. The next winter was a dumpster fire but the following two had great cold and some snow. Since 2014 it's just been sad, I think we've been below our 2" climatology all of those years except for maybe one. Sure it's better than Tuscaloosa, but it's only narrow swathes of Alabama have cashed in during the past 5 years.
After reading this i regret moving to Tuscaloosa because since I've been here (2 years now) we only gotten maybe an inch and a half of snow which sucks

South and slightly west, central Ala.. better? Montgomery is pure south central Ala, I guess. My bad, no offense.

I think the biggest takeaway is Canada is not getting warm in Dec, especially our primary source region for winter cold here in the SE US.

I think the biggest takeaway is Canada is not getting warm in Dec, especially our primary source region for winter cold here in the SE US.

Nope, this monstrous Gulf of Alaska trough in the extended as we experience +EAMT this week will flood the North American continent w/ mild Pacific air & most of the cold air will remained bottled up in extreme northern Canada or exit stage right over the Atlantic Ocean. I hope u like stale, Pacific air.

download.png

Back