• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

I came on here to see what might be ahead for December per today's models, just a quick check since you know been busy with family. Anyway low and behold Mack the only one who is on topic

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
With all due respect ... models could be showing an epic blizzard or a Cat 4 out of the Gulf on Christmas Day, and of course neither would be any where near right ... yet it would be another model run ... but as for the rest, so many seem unhappy and that's the disconcerting thing on the last Thursday of November ...

The only part of Alabama that’s seen well above (>150%) normal snowfall in the 2010s even against the 1981-2010 average that’s already a significant downward step change from much longer term means, is southern Alabama near the Gulf coast where storms are so infrequent that only a couple random events in a decade automatically push these areas to well above normal levels

Snow droughts are not uncommon in Alabama. Birmingham went 11 years from 1949-1960 with no mensurable snow (trace amounts). The storm track has more impact than temperatures.

9911c00ffb15f3fdabcb478df839c244.jpg

Maybe some ice for some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With a low spinning in Wisconsin, we would be more likely to see a typhoon than anything frozen

If you wanna see snow, move to Minneapolis. They've already been dumped on 2 times already I believe, another dumping tomorrow night and then another one on Sunday.

If you wanna see snow, move to Minneapolis. They've already been dumped on 2 times already I believe, another dumping tomorrow night and then another one on Sunday.
they do not have black eyed peas, corn bread, grits, sweet cole slaw or any form of decent bar-b-que whatsoever ... trust me ... it's one hell of a trade off for snow and with bad beer to boot ...

I can direct you to a bar up there with a jar full of 5 year old pickled quail eggs, though ... :eek:

Here is BMX’s map.

What is crazy is we didn’t take it in as much as we should have. That event was probably one if the greatest if not the greatest snow event recorded in East Central AL. According to snowfall charts of ‘93, the December 2017 likely surpassed it in these areas.

Snow droughts are not uncommon in Alabama. Birmingham went 11 years from 1949-1960 with no mensurable snow (trace amounts). The storm track has more impact than temperatures.
Correct. When I moved to Birmingham in 2006 they were in the middle of a snow drought that lasted from like 2002 to 2008 or 09 I think

Everybody here's talking about hot Decembers of the last several years, meanwhile I'm thinking about how I grew up all through the 90s with an absolute snow drought for south Louisiana. Then, between 2002 and 2017 we get a string of snows, almost half of which occurred in .... December!

Everybody here's talking about hot Decembers of the last several years, meanwhile I'm thinking about how I grew up all through the 90s with an absolute snow drought for south Louisiana. Then, between 2002 and 2017 we get a string of snows, almost half of which occurred in .... December!
I'm still growing up after all these years and you've got me beat dead nuts down by a backward century!

Monday morning, flurries/snow showers, rain/snow mix for a good portion of the Upper-South, mountains, far northern Alabama and Northern Georgia. The ULL will be to the north and east, however, short waves that will be associated with the ULL will bring precipitation as cold deep air is being filtered in. WPC does not include rain/snow mix outside of mountains, but I do think there will be flurries seen far south as northern Alabama and north of Atlanta. No accumulations outside of mountains and area's that do receive flurries. Any snow, it will not last long, but the northwest facing slopes may end up with a longer duration of snowfall.

wpcwx+frontsf096.gif

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_16.png

Back