• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe weather threat April 17-19

For Eastern NC, as the line approaches the Fv3 is also showing powerful 925mb winds, nearly 70kts just to the west of Wilson with widespread 55-60kts. Every global I've checked that I have sounding access to and every meso model all show the LLJ strengthening to 60-70kts over Eastern NC.

Fv3 925mb.jpg

HRRR shows broken line of supercells in south MS/AL where the hatched area for tornadoes are. going to be watching that area over night as well as central alabama for the pesky spin up tornadoes.

For Eastern NC, as the line approaches the Fv3 is also showing powerful 925mb winds, nearly 70kts just to the west of Wilson with widespread 55-60kts. Every global I've checked that I have sounding access to and every meso model all show the LLJ strengthening to 60-70kts over Eastern NC.

View attachment 19152

I’m not calling this a sting jet in anyways and these are 2 different things (sting jet on the backside of a bombing mid/high latitude storm), but it may be similar in ways, some mid level drying, some mixing of the winds to the sfc as the day progresses, strong winds at 925mb, any shower that taps into that could easily bring 40-60 mph winds to the sfc, very similar to a sting jet, I wonder with this system if your gonna be able to hear that roar above your head in eastern Nc/OBX

Yeah I cant really recall seeing that kind of wind speeds over head outside of tropical systems coming in lol....

Tornado warning near turkey creek, LA. Although i don't see rotation must have spun up and dissipated as quick as they pit out a warning.Screenshot_20190418-111616_RadarScope.jpg

I’m not calling this a sting jet in anyways and these are 2 different things (sting jet on the backside of a bombing mid/high latitude storm), but it may be similar in ways, some mid level drying, some mixing of the winds to the sfc as the day progresses, strong winds at 925mb, any shower that taps into that could easily bring 40-60 mph winds to the sfc, very similar to a sting jet, I wonder with this system if your gonna be able to hear that roar above your head in eastern Nc/OBX

Yeah you have to wonder, if winds are 60-70kts only 1,000 feet above the ground that it shouldn't be that hard with any decent convection to mix some of that wind energy down to the surface in gusts. By the time it reaches the coast some models are showing 70-85kts 1,000 feet above the ground. One has to think that will mix to the ground more effectively in areas like the OBX, especially if any convection is involved. This is why I think the wind threat for areas in Eastern NC especially could be pretty high tomorrow. Certainly an interesting system, the last big wind event pulled the flashing off part of my house so I'm hoping I can escape this one without something else happening.

The hrrr even paints a potential tornado threat across upstate sc. don’t believe it but it handle the last event very accurately. So we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's what a lot of these will be...Spin ups...Here one minute, gone the next...Gotta be on your toes
Exactly there very pesky had a ef1 tornado hit near my college from the last event and only a severe thunderstorm warning was issued because it was so fast.

I know people say VBV doesn't have the impact people think it does on tornadogenesis but events like yesterday really make me doubt that. Wind fields just tore storms apart.

Whoever said that it would be like 4-26-16 made a great call. I chased that day and storms ahead of the line were just getting torn apart. I remember waiting on a cell in a good environment and that thing came NE on us, showing rotation and just fell apart by the time it reached our location.

Eric, I noticed most models in soundings are showing winds in the 60kt range only 1,000 feet off the ground in portions of Eastern NC, some in the 65-70kt range. Apart from convection, is there a way to estimate how efficiently these winds could mix down to the surface in gusts? Here's an example sounding from the 3km NAM. Winds at 1,000 feet are right at 60kts but then at the surface they are sustained below 20kts. I would think in gusts 35-45mph could easily happen without the aid of any convection with a sounding like this?

View attachment 19149

Winds at the surface vs 850 hPa just from boundary layer overturning can be in the ballpark of 80% of the top of the boundary layer (850 hPa). Obviously ignoring convection for a second, if there's a very sharp change in wind w/ height esp at the bottom of the BL, this estimation may be fraught w/ error and it may be a good idea to also analyze the mean wind in the BL. Even this sounding could support surface wind gusts of nearly 45-50 KT or so in the absence of any convection. I could definitely see the logic behind the SPC upgrading east-central NC to a MDT risk just for wind damage given what we're dealing w/

Last edited:

Given the spatial distribution of those winds and the type of convection we're going to be dealing w/ tomorrow, that really looks like projection of the rear-inflow jet from the ongoing QLCS onto the synoptic-scale flow regime.

Back