• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Threat 2/21-2/23

Could be, but I’d definitely be concerned with that being breached is much higher than the low level warm layer with the last threat. Not a bad look though to see that 700mb level wetbulbing below 0C.

Edit: Seeing that 0-3km Cape closing in on 200 is very impressive for February.
Yep just noticed that low level instability, that’s way way more impressive then the last event, gonna be interesting to see how tomorrow works could go either way

Wonder if a boundary will setup later today or tomorrow morning? Big MCS moving through central Alabama right now.

Looks like the WRFs focus convection more so in AL but keep instability confined to MS. Helicity looks very favorable for tornadoes with both 0-1km and 0-3km over 300. Bulk shear is out of the due west which is very favorable for Supercells in AL, although I’d like seeing a little more backing at 850mb.

Looks like the WRFs focus convection more so in AL but keep instability confined to MS. Helicity looks very favorable for tornadoes with both 0-1km and 0-3km over 300. Bulk shear is out of the due west which is very favorable for Supercells in AL, although I’d like seeing a little more backing at 850mb.
Loaded gun sounding if the warm layer gets breached. ? Albeit a low instability loaded gun lol

View attachment 11406512Z 3km NAM shows little development compared to HRRR, possibly a reflection of the warm layer limiting convection.
Be careful with the Nam 3kms simulated radar. Arcc told me that the WRF model was the best cam for simulated radar I think. The NAM 3km has some biases if I can remember not sure what they were. I'd go with the HRRR and WRFs when they're in range last two events here were pretty accurate on the HRRR. The WRF seemed a bit bullish was pretty accurate If I remember.

Be careful with the Nam 3kms simulated radar. Arcc told me that the WRF model was the best cam for simulated radar I think. The NAM 3km has some biases if I can remember not sure what they were. I'd go with the HRRR and WRFs when they're in range last two events here were pretty accurate on the HRRR. The WRF seemed a bit bullish was pretty accurate If I remember.
I’m sure it has been mentioned but when is the FV3 officially replacing the NAM? It appears FY23 based on this article

Back to the storm, here is the WRF simulated radar.

1645462776571.gif

Looks like reed timmer is going to chase the possible supercells in north Alabama tommorow.

18z HRRR is about to run. Very eager to see what it's showing. Likely a enchanced area with increased tornado odds will be issued somewhere in that north MS/AL vicinity if things stay on track. Those hodograph are concerning. 1000j of sbcape Is well enough for the amount of shear in place.

Wow. The 18z HRRR is a uptick if Ive ever seen one. 2000j of sb cape in west Alabama. More widespread discrete convection. 1000j nearly making it to bham. That tuscoolsa into west Alabama area looks nasty.... Limiting factor maybe surface to 3km lapse rates. They may be modest
Updraft helicity swaths are not as impressive.

Check out the lifted index of 7 at the state line!!!! That's incredible!!!!!
HRRRSE_sfc_dewp_029.png

Nevermind surface to 3km lapse rates are at 7. This is very impressive for a winter setup. Just check out the EHI that's really good for tornado potential. Definite enchanced coming for north Alabama, north Mississippi. Pretty bonkers. That wind on the surface is coming from the southeast these winds are very backed at the surface. This is a legit setup. crossover.us_se.pngehi03.us_se (3).pngehi01.us_se.pngscp.us_se.png

May be wrong but it looks as if the 22z HRRR tries and sets up a boundary near from a line of tuscoolsa to Birmingham to Gadsden.

Looks like convection intiates near the very unstable air at the MS/AL border. I think a 5% tornado risk is a bit low. Would expect atleast a 10%.

Bro these paramters in north Alabama are starting to get pretty good.

Back