• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

September Sizzling Summer Segway

Unfortunately reality bites. The SER flexing her muscles on this mornings GFS. An outside shot at some CAD to cool down the afternoons but overnights stay summery through the run. Though the upper south and western areas of our region may get some cooler air. To be fair, this is what one should expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a gradual cooling as the season progresses. Don’t worry you will have your pumpkin spice latte soon.

One important thing to keep in mind is that if we can get a trough in the east, we can for the most part keep hurricanes away from the US, or at least sustain recurve just off the coast. From this, we could also end up seeing very cool temperatures. On the other hand, if we see a situation like the 00z and a ridge building up over the NE, that would limit any trough from making its way into the east coast and could spell trouble for the SE. Luckily models have been leaning to more troughing which would basically be a win-win, although it is 2020, so who knows.
gfs_T2ma_us_49.png

One important thing to keep in mind is that if we can get a trough in the east, we can for the most part keep hurricanes away from the US, or at least sustain recurve just off the coast. From this, we could also end up seeing very cool temperatures. On the other hand, if we see a situation like the 00z and a ridge building up over the NE, that would limit any trough from making its way into the east coast and could spell trouble for the SE. Luckily models have been leaning to more troughing which would basically be a win-win, although it is 2020, so who knows.
View attachment 47674
Lets hope the GFS is correct. It would have the cool spell starting at day 7. Canadian also shows a brief day seven cool down, but quickly warms back up (to day 10). **waiting on the euro...

RAH is thinking the cool down may happen as well:

<Last paragraph of afternoon discussion>
A cold front looks to move through our area late Friday or early
Saturday, which should result in an increased chance of showers and
storms. The front may stall near our SE zones on Saturday, so have
the warmest temperatures and highest POPs here, decreasing to the
north. With Canadian high pressure building into the northern US, a
taste of autumn with lower dew points and below-normal temperatures
is possible by next weekend, but this will depend on how far south
the front is able to get.

slowly moving into the 10 day window... I'll even take 5-10 degrees warmer. Mid 40s on the 10th of Sept would be extremely rare territory anyway:
View attachment 47694

How rare would 46s be on 9/10 at Chat and Birm? They'd both not only would be record lows for the date. They'd also be coldest for so early in the season with records going back to the late 1800s. It would be an even more notable feat considering global warming. It definitely has my attention.

Last edited:
How rare would 46s be on 9/10 at Chat and Birm? They'd both not only would be record lows for the date. They'd also be coldest for so early in the season. It would be an even more notable feat considering global warming. It definitely has my attention.
Yeah, I noticed that when I went to look at the records...

The cold push is impressive but seems to die a bit just as it gets to North Georgia. (Per GFS)

Back