• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Scorchtember

It would be crazy if October ends up hotter than July. Has that ever happened?

It would be crazy it’s also NOT happening. Could we have some 90 degree days, sure. But the laws of physics will not be undone. Even if we are well above normal in Atlanta it’ll be mid 80’s by day and low 60’s at night by mid October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Patience, we have been on a streak of AN falls, the last BN fall I remember was in 2009. Maybe this is a new norm and we should just accept it. No coincidence that we are on a streak of AN winters.

View attachment 23636View attachment 23637

It is the new normal. When temperature normals get recalibrated the maps will show these temps to be normal, recency bias kicks in and we will largely become oblivious to it. Maybe not all of us...

It would be crazy it’s also NOT happening. Could we have some 90 degree days, sure. But the laws of physics will not be undone. Even if we are well above normal in Atlanta it’ll be mid 80’s by day and low 60’s at night by mid October.

If we're talking October being hotter than July In terms of departure from average, that's happened before and can happen again.

But yeah, it would be very difficult for October's average temp to be hotter than July's average temp.

If we're talking October being hotter than July In terms of departure from average, that's happened before and can happen again.

But yeah, it would be very difficult for October's average temp to be hotter than July's average temp.
Higher departures from normal would be more likely in the winter months... Winter temps can have very large swings between record highs and record lows.

Got 40’s coming this week that is too COLD for me in September.

GEFS giving us a few wedge setups. Take what you can get at this point. More like early May but at least less like August...or September as it were.

Bone dry on the GFS
gfs_apcpn_seus_64.png

95 at Birmingham at 11am which is 5 degrees warmer than at 11am yesterday. They made it up to 98 yesterday.

At 2 PM, KATL had already tied yesterday's high of 96 and was then at 95, which is 2 hotter than 24 hours ago. A 98 is looking more and more possible, folks. UNBELIEVABLE!

At 2 PM, KATL had already tied yesterday's high of 96 and was then at 95, which is 2 hotter than 24 hours ago. A 98 is looking more and more possible, folks. UNBELIEVABLE!

I was thinking it could make a run at 100*F.

I was thinking it could make a run at 100*F.

Yeah, I'd give 100 something like a 10% chance....so not out of the realm of possibilities. That would make it the latest 100 by 8 days going back to 1879!!
As it is, I think 98+ is about a 2 in 3 chance as of now. 99+ is maybe a 1 in 3 chance. I can't believe we're talking about temps like this on 9/17 in Atlanta!

I have a feeling Birmingham will hit 100 today. They are at 99 at 3pm. I wonder when the latest 100+ occurrence in Birmingham is ?

Edit: Birmingham's latest 100+ day was on 9-22-1925

Incredible day here in the NRV. currently 76 with a nice Northeast breeze. Topped at 80 earlier. It looks like an absolute scorcher in Alabama, Georgia and parts of SC.

Yeah, I'd give 100 something like a 10% chance....so not out of the realm of possibilities. That would make it the latest 100 by 8 days going back to 1879!!
As it is, I think 98+ is about a 2 in 3 chance as of now. 99+ is maybe a 1 in 3 chance. I can't believe we're talking about temps like this on 9/17 in Atlanta!

Larry,
Do you think we will need alot of changes between now and beginning of December to realistically get excited about winter or is it too early still to know?

Back