• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

Scotty says hi!
3b0d6f0c7839c33d0dc85171681bd5cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that's beaut, I am poor and still use callaways

Today is the 134 year anniversary of the mother of all early season winter storms in the south.

Snowstorms in the South: An Historical Perspective | Weather Extremes (wunderground.com)
"An early season heavy wet snowstorm hammered all of Alabama and the higher elevations of Georgia and North Carolina December 3-6, 1886 with 12-16” of snowfall in central Alabama (Montgomery had a record 11.0”), 17-20” in the northern parts of Alabama, and up to 25” in northern Georgia (as was measured in Rome). But it was in the mountains of North Carolina that the most extraordinary accumulations were reported with 36-42” at places like Hot House, North Carolina and Ducktown, Tennessee. Asheville, North Carolina reported 33” of snow

Some other cities not listed in that article...
Knoxville -15 inches
Chattanooga - 12 inches
Charlotte - 7 inches
Nashville - 2 inches

Today is the 134 year anniversary of the mother of all early season winter storms in the south.

Snowstorms in the South: An Historical Perspective | Weather Extremes (wunderground.com)
"An early season heavy wet snowstorm hammered all of Alabama and the higher elevations of Georgia and North Carolina December 3-6, 1886 with 12-16” of snowfall in central Alabama (Montgomery had a record 11.0”), 17-20” in the northern parts of Alabama, and up to 25” in northern Georgia (as was measured in Rome). But it was in the mountains of North Carolina that the most extraordinary accumulations were reported with 36-42” at places like Hot House, North Carolina and Ducktown, Tennessee. Asheville, North Carolina reported 33” of snow

Knoxville -15 inches
Chattanooga - 12 inches
Charlotte - 7 inches
Nashville - 2 inches

I probably need to make a few snow maps today to remember what a legit snowstorm actually looks like in NC

Knoxville -15 inches
Chattanooga - 12 inches
Charlotte - 7 inches
Nashville - 2 inches
I don't see Atlanta's totals ? If Rome measured 25" then surely Atlanta just 65 miles SE got at least 15".

Atlanta got 18.5
:eek:

Greenville though really raked in w/ 26"

View attachment 55666

I see the 18.5” on that map but I know Atlanta didn’t get 18.5” as I’ve mentioned before. I’ve seen and copied the actual microfiche Atlanta Journal and Constitution articles. They actually got 7” of a combo of sleet and snow that per this (see below) would have been a foot had it been all snow....so I’m not trying to downplay it at all as 7” of sleet and snow combined was likely from a sh*tload of water content of well over an inch, about as heavy a snow/sleet combo as ATL has ever gotten. The record heaviest ATL downtown snow and/or sleet is the 10” from the late Jan of 1940 storm you’ve posted about that was all snow.

The 25” at Rome was verified in the newspaper.

Here is the Dec 1886 article about the snow and sleet in Atlanta, which says 7” there both in the headline and in the article below (and this is after it had completely stopped....there wasn’t any more later):

C97264DF-F654-4C4A-A61A-663A51F5C3A0.jpeg

Last edited:
I see the 18.5” on that map but I know Atlanta didn’t get 18.5” as I’ve mentioned before. I’ve seen and copied the actual microfiche Atlanta Journal and Constitution articles. They actually got 7” of a combo of sleet and snow that per this (see below) and which would have been a foot had it been all snow....so I’m not trying to downplay it at all as 7” of sleet and snow combined was likely from a sh*tload of water content of well over an inch, about as heavy a snow/sleet combo as ATL has ever gotten. The record heaviest ATL downtown snow and/or sleet is the 10” from the late Jan of 1940 storm you’ve posted about that was all snow.

Here is the Dec 1886 article about the snow and sleet in Atlanta, which says 7” there both in the headline and in the article below (and this is after it had completely stopped....there wasn’t any more later):

View attachment 55687

Ahh okay thanks for this clarification, I think I also vaguely remember you mentioning this previously. That's still insane as you've said to see that kind of snow in Atlanta, and the gradient NW of town to go from 7" to 25" in Rome is absurd. Perhaps, some of the far northern suburbs saw numbers close to this, I certainly know (even during say Dec 2017) that snowfall gradient was very large across the metro.

Ahh okay thanks for this clarification, I think I also vaguely remember you mentioning this previously. That's still insane as you've said to see that kind of snow in Atlanta, and the gradient NW of town to go from 7" to 25" in Rome is absurd. Perhaps, some of the far northern suburbs saw numbers close to this, I certainly know (even during say Dec 2017) that snowfall gradient was very large across the metro.
It’s not far off from the gradient in 1993.

I see the 18.5” on that map but I know Atlanta didn’t get 18.5” as I’ve mentioned before. I’ve seen and copied the actual microfiche Atlanta Journal and Constitution articles. They actually got 7” of a combo of sleet and snow that per this (see below) would have been a foot had it been all snow....so I’m not trying to downplay it at all as 7” of sleet and snow combined was likely from a sh*tload of water content of well over an inch, about as heavy a snow/sleet combo as ATL has ever gotten. The record heaviest ATL downtown snow and/or sleet is the 10” from the late Jan of 1940 storm you’ve posted about that was all snow.

The 25” at Rome was verified in the newspaper.

View attachment 55687
There is absolutely no way Rome got 25" and Atlanta got 7". I refuse to believe such a snow gradient can exist.

I find it entertaining that the ATL newspapers almost always referred to snowcover there as “The beautiful” as
this article does and which is, of course, a perfect thing to call it.

Back