• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

Some other peice of energy wants to dig after the miller B system, and there’s possibly some major snowpack to our north, but idk bout that western ridge looks meh
Yeah that patten is way better than previous years and just a taller western ridge from being good. But that look verbatim still won't get it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Euro usually a few degrees too warm at this lead time when it comes to CAD. If that’s so, then most of the NC Piedmont and northern SC upstate would be in play
Most models overdo temps in CAD situations to some degree, especially the globals. It seems like the NAM is usually best (it’s also best at sniffing out warm noses, IMO).

Biggest difference I see is a better 50-50 low in 2010 and now we have ridging there.

True, it’s adjustable tho, I wanna bet over the next few days we’re gonna have several Debbie downer runs and good runs for that miller B System and something after perhaps, given we’re entering a nice -NAO, problem is, Will they stick around and happen ? Lol

Keep Christ in Christmas like faith in snow. Please like if you agree and keep winter storm tracking through Christmas. Don’t let the same few keep you from discussing the weather here. Enjoy expert analysis from webb and others. Pay me no mind I just try to speak the truth.

Most models overdo temps in CAD situations to some degree, especially the globals. It seems like the NAM is usually best (it’s also best at sniffing out warm noses, IMO).
Thank you. I was thinking that the Euro specifically was a little warm in CAD situations. In fact I can remember that the January 2016 storm, the Euro had me getting very little in the way of onset ice and temperatures would then stay above freezing most of the storm. The NAM however had me a few degrees colder with temperatures staying in the upper 20s and me getting a predominately sleet event which aside from a little snow at the beginning and end is what happened.

True, it’s adjustable tho, I wanna bet over the next few days we’re gonna have several Debbie downer runs and good runs for that miller B System and something after perhaps, given we’re entering a nice -NAO, problem is, Will they stick around and happen ? Lol
Yeah I think we may see some fantasy storms show up here and there. Hopefully this pattern holds. Even 2010 didn't produce until Christmas and then in early Jan. 2011. I don't even want to think about it if we haven't scored by mid Jan this year.

The dews in the NE are what you are looking for
1607633194755.png

and the wind has veered around to the NNE
1607633220613.png
But youd really like to see the 1026 isobar down into NC not in Pa and the wedge doesn't have a ton of depth to it likely on from the sfc to 950 if that. In many locations that will be quickly eroded from the top down by precipitation and WAA on SE winds then even further warmed by any freezing since the cold dry feed is so weak.
1607633350217.png

Realistically with the parent low travelling into the Ohio Valley it becomes difficult for this to be anything but a primarily ZR/RN event for the Carolinas since the tendency will be to flip winds from 950 S. If you want more IP or a shot at SN you will need the primary low and shortwave to trend weaker or south. This might be enough to veer winds in the 925-700 layer more E or NE and hold in some cold longer.

Last edited:
The dews in the NE are what you are looking for

and the wind has veered around to the NNE

But youd really like to see the 1026 isobar down into NC not in Pa and the wedge doesn't have a ton of depth to it likely on from the sfc to 950 if that. In many locations that will be quickly eroded from the top down by precipitation and WAA on SE winds then even further warmed by any freezing since the cold dry feed is so weak.

Realistically with the parent low travelling into the Ohio Valley it becomes difficult for this to be anything but a primarily ZR/RN event for the Carolinas since the tendency will be to flip winds from 950 up south of the S. If you want more IP or a shot at SN you will need the primary low and shortwave to trend weaker or south. This might be enough to veer winds in the 925-700 layer more E or NE and hold in some cold longer.
You can see the isobars bending (cad) on the old para gfs run even with the storm missing us. I would imagine if we had precip it would be even stronger bending of isobars on para. It’s coming if moisture comes.

Here’s some scenarios for you curious folks

Attachments

• 0EABF6BB-BDAF-45DC-BDD3-3E7657576A8B.png
    0EABF6BB-BDAF-45DC-BDD3-3E7657576A8B.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 66
  • F0B3570D-B1A1-4DDA-B92F-0895139E2C56.png
    F0B3570D-B1A1-4DDA-B92F-0895139E2C56.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 64
  • E9E4EE59-F2E9-4540-993B-9EB51701527D.png
    E9E4EE59-F2E9-4540-993B-9EB51701527D.png
    216 KB · Views: 59
  • 4F8C7DDC-1CD0-462E-8ADE-A798877F71CE.png
    4F8C7DDC-1CD0-462E-8ADE-A798877F71CE.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DEB337BF-7FC0-4C5B-BCA3-27EA4CAB1875.png
    DEB337BF-7FC0-4C5B-BCA3-27EA4CAB1875.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2F503A27-39CA-4F5D-A7F1-A6CF8B8559CD.png
    2F503A27-39CA-4F5D-A7F1-A6CF8B8559CD.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 48
This has got to be the year that we get a big snowstorm come up through Atlanta and Upstate SC. One that you don’t even have to worry about the I-85 rain/snow line. It’s just gotta be time. I believe.
Hope can be a wonderful thing my friend, just be careful of hearbreak! ?

Hope can be a wonderful thing my friend, just be careful of hearbreak! ?
Yeah I've heard the same thing from peeps from Columbia SC for years saying they're due. Unfortunately Mother Nature doesn't care. However the last 2 -NAO years CAE and all the upstate cashed in. Unfortunately we don't know if this is even going to be a -NAO year yet.

Back