• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

It’s winter storm watch criteria setup for mtns and foothills. But piedmont could see a splattering of snow/sleet to ice too. ESP Winston Salem region

Euro was actually shockingly close to a big ice storm, temps around 34/33View attachment 56824
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Euro usually a few degrees too warm at this lead time when it comes to CAD. If that’s so, then most of the NC Piedmont and northern SC upstate would be in play

Would you rather have a -EPO with a +NAO/+AO with 50/50 lows that escape out due to no blocking orrrr a +EPO/-NAO/-AO thats often warmer
Give me the the-NAO combo any day. It sucks watching the Mid Atlantic cash in over and over, but we have a better shot in the long range if it holds. Is a -EPO and-NAO together not possible? It's been so long since we've had a -NAO I cant remember.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Euro usually a few degrees too warm at this lead time when it comes to CAD. If that’s so, then most of the NC Piedmont and northern SC upstate would be in play
euro does well but NAM does best on thermals 1-2 days out. CMC is always overdone inngore.

Give me the the-NAO combo any day. It sucks watching the Mid Atlantic cash in over and over, but we have a better shot in the long range if it holds. Is a -EPO and-NAO together not possible? It's been so long since we've had a -NAO I cant remember.
It’s hard to get both -NAO and -EPO simultaneously because the wave fluxes that create both patterns destroy one or the other unless they’re accompanied by a strong -AO

It’s hard to get both -NAO and -EPO simultaneously because the wave fluxes that create both patterns destroy one or the other unless they’re accompanied by a strong -AO
Thats what I was thinking. History shows a better shot of a cold and stormy pattern with the -NAO I think? So I'll take my chances. If we can hold it the deeper we go into winter that should help.

All models are generally too warm with CAD except mesoscale from a day or so out. They generally trend colder and stronger and models always want to drive Low Pressure directly into CAD and it never happens. Also places in the northern upstate often go from a ZR nightmare on the models to actually getting a lot of sleet with backend ZR. Generally because the CAD is strong and the WAA is less due to the LP having to deviate around the CAD and not coming so far inland.

Thats what I was thinking. History shows a better shot of a cold and stormy pattern with the -NAO I think? So I'll take my chances. If we can hold it the deeper we go into winter that should help.
-NAOs afford us a better chance to get coastal cyclones, always a big risk involved that we’re just handing off our threats to the mid Atlantic and NE US in this kind of pattern though. If we manage to get a persistent and strong -NAO with multiple storms to lay down some good snow cover to our north then things can change

any prime cad location is in play (Georgia-South Carolina). Several days away a lot could Happen. Different days and different storms. Usually we fail the first few times until we build snow pack over mid Atlantic then we lock it in.

-NAOs afford us a better chance to get coastal cyclones, always a big risk involved that we’re just handing off our threats to the mid Atlantic and NE US in this kind of pattern though. If we manage to get a persistent and strong -NAO with multiple storms to lay down some good snow cover to our north then things can change
yep para gfs was about to do it. Low over Florida but looked like it could slide on east and bomb off the s/e.it will happen future runs me thinks.

Screenshot_20201210-150546_Chrome.jpg
This is only the GFS, not sure what the Euro has. But until we get the stubborn MJO to not want to hang on the right of the circle in winter we'll struggle to get cold. It may want to head to ph 7 but who knows? I also see just as many wanting to loop right back to crap in 4 and 5. The NAO is saving our ass from torching right now but can't supply the cold we need. The Pac has to be somewhat favorable..

What does this relate to in laymen terms?
Some other peice of energy wants to dig after the miller B system, and there’s possibly some major snowpack to our north, but idk bout that western ridge looks meh

View attachment 56843
This is only the GFS, not sure what the Euro has. But until we get the stubborn MJO to not want to hang on the right of the circle in winter we'll struggle to get cold. It may want to head to ph 7 but who knows? I also see just as many wanting to loop right back to crap in 4 and 5. The NAO is saving our ass from torching right now but can't supply the cold we need. The Pac has to be somewhat favorable..
Repost this image daily until April. No need to bother with going to the site.

As far as the NAO and ENSO go, I always like to show this every winter for NC folks from the NC Climate Office.

Our results found that a negative NAO combined with a positive ENSO phase (El Niño) resulted in the most snow days on average, with an increase of 25% (or more) in snow days for all four winter months.

A positive NAO combined with a negative ENSO (La Niña) resulted in the greatest decrease in average snow days. This is due to a lack of cold air (results of a typical positive NAO), and less active subtropical jet stream (results of a typical La Niña).

NAO had the most significant impact on snow days. Even in winter months that featured La Niña conditions (typically warm and dry), combined with a negative NAO, only February saw a decrease in snow days, which suggests that the NAO has a more direct influence on NC snowfall than ENSO. The reason behind this is that the NAO directly impacts the large scale atmospheric pattern over the eastern U.S. on a daily timescale, whereas the ENSO pattern indirectly effects the eastern U.S. atmospheric pattern by altering global circulations, and does so on monthly to seasonal timescales.

Back