• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

Psst stink bomb my ass.....and those totals are way off.....I measured 14" on the roof of my car the next morning 8-10 hrs after it had stopped and a neighbor had put one of those plastic outdoor tables in the middle of his backyard and we measured 17" on it in the middle of the table right as it was ending....there was snow drifts hanging several feet off the roofs of the apt building I lived in etc....a top 5 storm for me lifetime maybe even borderline top 3.

We got somewhere between 6-8” in Elizabeth City on that one.

Thats fine since Decembers mostly suck anyway. Now if we poop away prime climo Jan 1st through the middle of Feb again this year because of a SER, I'm not going to be a happy man!

I have a different experience with Jan-mid Feb climo, lots of average to below average events....at least in eastern NC.....or maybe just PGV......lots of 3-6" type stuff, the real bangers have all been Dec or late Feb early March......I cant think of a single 8-12" type event here in my lifetime in Jan....maybe that will change this year.

you (flip) flop more than a UNC point guard.

Is this the infamous backpacker.....errr I mean....packbacker? Well, packbacker was backpacker somewhere for a few days when Cold Rain appeared as Rain Cold (at Talkweather??). I always remember him being a skeptic of cold and he often ended up right. Never bet against the pack! Paging @Rain Cold, what do you think?

A third in a row great winterlike evening here for walking with 38 F and near calm winds! Thank you, Mr. +PNA!

Last edited:
5c117c33fd284c5c8afe76f1a2ad943a.jpg

Second day in a row we got down to 24°-25° at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did we screw that one up

Just didn't get the QPF in the eastern piedmont tbh. The deeper CAD dome in the western and southwestern piedmont as well as orographic lift for the southern mountains aided in generating isentropic upglide that kicked off moderate-heavy SN/IP for much of this storm's duration. This storm was largely snow in Raleigh, but the rates were really light, then some compaction by sleet near the end lowered totals a bit. KCLT's evolution was classic for big CAD snows there (like Feb 12-13 2014 for ex). Initially started out as light snow, then a big burst of heavy snow/sleet on the front end marked the transition to more mixing w/ IP, & it ended w/ freezing drizzle.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.19.05 AM.png

Back