• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

Exactly how often does Lizard Lick get a 32 degree sunny day ? Once every 5 years ?
Ughh on average 2-3 days a year thanks( RDU) ! At least according to the NCEI 81-10 normals. Havent had an ice day in 2 years though but that isn’t normal , even 91-20 normals have a mean coldest year max of like 30 or 31 on average !

Happy anniversary to this stink bomb View attachment 55261
That was the absolute biggest bust ever for the Charlotte area. I went to bed on Saturday night expecting to go to the Panthers game the next day in a 6-10 inch snowstorm... instead I got a quick flurry as I was driving to uptown that morning. What’s really bad is that exactly 2 years later to the date, local mets absolutely nailed the December 2002 Ice Storm that put much of the area in the dark for a week.

That was the absolute biggest bust ever for the Charlotte area. I went to bed on Saturday night expecting to go to the Panthers game the next day in a 6-10 inch snowstorm... instead I got a quick flurry as I was driving to uptown that morning. What’s really bad is that exactly 2 years later to the date, local mets absolutely nailed the December 2002 Ice Storm that put much of the area in the dark for a week.
Wait. You actually expected a game in Charlotte to be played in 6-10" of snow ? You should know that everything shuts down even over a couple inches !

I don't like people living in the Midwest (cough mackerel sky cough) getting all giddy for lakes cutters here at SouthernWx.com!

cb2d782ce86a9e0fd26e3c3f01ba1662.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think most of the forecasts here were for a foot or so. Got about 41 seconds of dandruff and that was it

My wife and I drove from Raleigh to Charlotte to meet friends for our wedding shower the night before this storm. The Mets were so confident we left a little early to get back to Raleigh before the big blizzard hit. I remember I kept looking out the car window ready to see clouds and snow but only saw stars on the entire drive back.

2000-2004 sure did have a lot of snows outside of the mountains of NC that produced double digit snow.
I got 15 from the crusher
Over 1 1/4 inch frzng rain on 2 inches sleet snow 2002
Late Feb 2004 17 inches, some areas of my county 19.

So yes 2000-2004 had 3 monster storms.
And the biggest bust of all time remember all to well. Waking up to milky skys that Sunday morning. Van Denton on air apologizing for blowing it etc. Haunts him, all us to this day

Happy anniversary to this stink bomb View attachment 55261

Psst stink bomb my ass.....and those totals are way off.....I measured 14" on the roof of my car the next morning 8-10 hrs after it had stopped and a neighbor had put one of those plastic outdoor tables in the middle of his backyard and we measured 17" on it in the middle of the table right as it was ending....there was snow drifts hanging several feet off the roofs of the apt building I lived in etc....a top 5 storm for me lifetime maybe even borderline top 3.

I got 15 from the crusher
Over 1 1/4 inch frzng rain on 2 inches sleet snow 2002
Late Feb 2004 17 inches, some areas of my county 19.

So yes 2000-2004 had 3 monster storms.
And the biggest bust of all time remember all to well. Waking up to milky skys that Sunday morning. Van Denton on air apologizing for blowing it etc. Haunts him, all us to this day
I was in Raleigh visiting some friends when the Crusher surprised everyone and I can still remember Greg Fishel just finally throwing his hands up after well over a foot had fallen and him saying “ it’s gonna stop whenever stops and we’re gonna get how much we’re gonna get”... imagine completely missing a storm of magnitude in today’s social media environment

Psst stink bomb my ass.....and those totals are way off.....I measured 14" on the roof of my car the next morning 8-10 hrs after it had stopped and a neighbor had put one of those plastic outdoor tables in the middle of his backyard and we measured 17" on it in the middle of the table right as it was ending....there was snow drifts hanging several feet off the roofs of the apt building I lived in etc....a top 5 storm for me lifetime maybe even borderline top 3.
Stink....bomb

We are really not far off from something around December 7th .. some very slight adjustments and were talking about a phased system with some decent cold air to tap into... it’s been suppressed still in the models but I would keep an eye out in this one as I’ve noticed, along with Im sure others, the way the models like to make adjustments north west with low pressures off the south east coast and such...

Back