• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October Thread

I guess it could end up being like 1989-1990 too. A very cold and wintry Dec, then early spring weather the rest of the way.
Some of the pattern progression that the models are showing are very similar to both the Fall of 1989 and 2010. 1989 was entering a 2nd year LaNina like this year…temperatures were roughly around average to slightly above for most of the Fall but then there was a first real big push of cold air right before Thanksgiving along with a big east coast winter storm on the holiday. Then of course we saw that December stay quite cold with another big winter storm for the western and central Carolinas around the 10th and then of course the big Arctic outbreak and coastal blizzard right around Christmas. After about 3-4 more weeks of average to slightly below average, the SER flexed in late January and the rest of the season was above average minus a just a few quick in and out cold shots.

Some of the pattern progression that the models are showing are very similar to both the Fall of 1989 and 2010. 1989 was entering a 2nd year LaNina like this year…temperatures were roughly around average to slightly above for most of the Fall but then there was a first real big push of cold air right before Thanksgiving along with a big east coast winter storm on the holiday. Then of course we saw that December stay quite cold with another big winter storm for the western and central Carolinas around the 10th and then of course the big Arctic outbreak and coastal blizzard right around Christmas. After about 3-4 more weeks of average to slightly below average, the SER flexed in late January and the rest of the season was above average minus a just a few quick in and out cold shots.
One thing we are missing from the fall of 1989 is of course a major hurricane hitting the southeast coast. I think that shook up the pattern a good bit and then of course that major system in mid November that caused a major tornado in Huntsville AL. That's the one that set the stage for late November and all of December I believe. I may be wrong, but I think that big arctic outbreak before Christmas may be the last time I saw single digit temps here. Jan 2014 came awfully close but did not make it.

One thing we are missing from the fall of 1989 is of course a major hurricane hitting the southeast coast. I think that shook up the pattern a good bit and then of course that major system in mid November that caused a major tornado in Huntsville AL. That's the one that set the stage for late November and all of December I believe. I may be wrong, but I think that big arctic outbreak before Christmas may be the last time I saw single digit temps here. Jan 2014 came awfully close but did not make it.
I think the system in mid November that year had a bigger overall impact on the pattern than Hugo did… as things stayed fairly close to average for the most part minus a couple CADs until that system in mid November. Speaking of which that system brought some severe with into the Carolinas as well… the home I grew up in actually had two more trees fall from that system… most likely they had been weakened by Hugo a couple months before… and then one more fell during the winter storm around 12/10 due to the weight of ice

Big artic outbreak mid December 89 was impressive indeed… it didn’t get out the single digits for highs that Friday with wind chills around minus 30 to minus 40 here in west Tennessee… but that was pretty
Much all winter that whole season.

Big artic outbreak mid December 89 was impressive indeed… it didn’t get out the single digits for highs that Friday with wind chills around minus 30 to minus 40 here in west Tennessee… but that was pretty
Much all winter that whole season.
The wind chills were calculated differently back then weren't they ?

I wonder how many times we are going to see the phrase "step down to colder" over the next 2 weeks with the consecutive rockies/plains systems

There should be 3 maybe 4 but it's going to take until the 3rd or 4th for us to feel any effects and unless they build a -nao it isn't going to be a true step down to colder pattern at last for the SE and probably the EC in general

I wonder how many times we are going to see the phrase "step down to colder" over the next 2 weeks with the consecutive rockies/plains systems

There should be 3 maybe 4 but it's going to take until the 3rd or 4th for us to feel any effects and unless they build a -nao it isn't going to be a true step down to colder pattern at last for the SE and probably the EC in general
If what models say is true maybe this little cyclonic system forming off the SE coast will help reel in the drier cooler air from the NE and filter it down the SE still nothing that makes it feel cold but certainly will have us feeling nice out

I noticed the 00z GFS really backed off on the retrogression of that closed off low.

In fact, it even pops a couple 594dm ridges over Texas in the long range.

12z GFS is printing out 4" to 5" totals over the Atlanta area now, through 144 hours. My soil is still wet from the last round of September rains. This is like September, the sequel. Sequels are never as good as the originals. this upper level low is holding up the delivery of dryer/cooler continental air and pumping in the Gulf of Mexico!

Now 6.2" over my county through 159 hours... I'm not complaining about the rain, though. This is usually a dry month for me. Just would like some cold air!

Back