• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October Thread

Gotta love the 600+ hour European … unfortunately can’t be trusted but I’ll take it for now as it’s showing what I’ve been thinking could happen for a while with an early start to winter with the help of that early strat warming taking into effect much earlier than we usually get … haven’t had a thanksgiving flurry in a while ??

Need to be really careful on how we evolve the SPV. If you bother it but let it come back, typically it comes back stronger and harder to disrupt, there’s cases where failed attempts at SSWEs have lead to a very strong stratospheric polar vortex later on which ends up leading to a off the wall +AO

Gotta love the 600+ hour European … unfortunately can’t be trusted but I’ll take it for now as it’s showing what I’ve been thinking could happen for a while with an early start to winter with the help of that early strat warming taking into effect much earlier than we usually get … haven’t had a thanksgiving flurry in a while ??
The one time I got to experience a snowfall before Thanksgiving was in November 2000… I had 4 inches in Concord where I was living at the time, and then never got more than flurries the rest of the winter

The one time I got to experience a snowfall before Thanksgiving was in November 2000… I had 4 inches in Concord where I was living at the time, and then never got more than flurries the rest of the winter
That was a great event full on mashed potatoes falling. Could have been an awesome 2 week period if the coastal low didn't miss east in early December

Last edited:
Some type of SSW event is our only chance to see a possible cold start to winter. A weaker pv for sure. Dont want it too early either because, imo, it's tough to see a sustainable cold pattern to produce snow and ice in the south and se other than your typical favored higher elevations

Some type of SSW event is our only chance to see a possible cold start to winter. A weaker pv for sure. Dont want it too early either because, imo, it's tough to see a sustainable cold pattern to produce snow and ice in the south and se other than your typical favored higher elevations
It would literally be an antisocial winter. Just like 2018-19. :(

Back