• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October '22

It is interesting that one of the other times we had a third year Nina it snowed in October here after a big torch in September(which that part definitely happened this year)

So makes you wonder. But I won't believe anything til we're way closer in time. The issue with third year Nina's is there's only like 2 or 3 analogs so it's hard to pin anything down
It really is hard to get a good idea when the sample size of 3rd year Niñas are so small. The last one in 2000/01 had fairly cool fall that lead into a quite cold first half of winter

I sure hope we ain’t wasting our cold to early. Other than that it feels great out

It really is hard to get a good idea when the sample size of 3rd year Niñas are so small. The last one in 2000/01 had fairly cool fall that lead into a quite cold first half of winter

Yeah that's the year it snowed here in October. Labor Day that year hit 111 in Dallas for reference. It was a big flip

Yeah that's the year it snowed here in October. Labor Day that year hit 111 in Dallas for reference. It was a big flip
That was also the year that much of the Carolinas had a widespread 2-4” snowfall event a few days before Thanksgiving.

Models seem to agree on a little bit of pushing around and elongation of the strat pv in the next few days. Not huge implications on our backyards other than a higher likelihood of a decent cold shot in the 10+ day period. What I like about it is the potential for it to interfere with the seasonal strengthening and may help us have a weaker pv down the line

The coolest site to get Polar vortex maps and diagrams. Very cool and free!

gfs_sh-vort3d_20221005_f000_rot000.png

gfs_sh-epvstream_0800K_20221005_f000.png

A +PNA seems to be dominating the medium and long range guidance. Although wave lengths are still short they are growing longer with the days. We could be actually dealing with a below average October as whole which would be impressive for us.
Too strong of a +pna isn't good for anybody lol.

Too strong of a +pna isn't good for anybody lol.
I disagree, well depending on what you want .. if u want cold I disagree .. when wavelengths get longer this provides the East coast a big opportunity to feed us all cold air from the arctic regions. The +PNA is what led to us last winter to having a month of winter weather opportunities in the south. We didn’t have a -NAO though which didn’t allow the storms to slow down and really could have brought us more big time snow or ice events. We want both things to happen. But having a +PNA brings us the cold air.

We definitely need the rain out in Oklahoma. These past 30 days have been some of the driest on record for this time of the year.View attachment 122824View attachment 122823
11 days and counting without a drop of rain here. It looks like it could go to 20 days without rain which is incredibly rare in this area. Average annual rainfall here is 49 inches and it’s rare to go even 7 days without rain at least once so this is definitely a noteworthy weather period.

Back