• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

Much more cold air to work with this run but it’s still showing up in medium range if the cold was denied past 240 at any point now that would be an actual model delay of cold air where I would start being worried about it being a mirage but this is not that View attachment 93790View attachment 93791

It is interesting how the models keep trending slowly to the west with each run but then also intensify the cold once it finally comes. This delay from run to run is quite possibly due to the convective forcing from near record very warm W Pacific/Maritime Continent anomalies and the inherent biases of models being slowly corrected with each run from a pro met I’ve talked to. It does remind me of Feb of 2021.

Last edited:
All of you in the Midwest flaunting your cold can keep it. There’s still a novelty factor in Oct/Nov, then when it’s -15 at 3 PM in January and your car won’t start you can come flaunt it some more. I’ll be enjoying the 60 degree weather at the beach (which is only 2 1/2 hrs away ?)

All of you in the Midwest flaunting your cold can keep it. There’s still a novelty factor in Oct/Nov, then when it’s -15 at 3 PM in January and your car won’t start you can come flaunt it some more. I’ll be enjoying the 60 degree weather at the beach (which is only 2 1/2 hrs away ?)
65D1D461-2CC2-4FC4-B0A7-79BE6E9D3C9A.png?

Sucks it's not winter and the wavelengths aren't longer, because a pattern like this would have some real potential in January-February.
Yeah I’ve been thinking about this short wavelengths make all these warm ups and cool downs quick so we have to get more lucky more times this time of year

The 12z Euro throws the kitchen sink and the pipes its connected to at the CONUS later next week. The anticyclonic wave break in NW Canada sends every shred of cold air it can muster and hurls it in our general direction. Another reason it's getting delayed/shifted west w/ time is because the entire wave pattern is amplifying, which means you end up seeing shorter wavelength troughs/ridges that advect more air across them >> more warm advection into Canada & cold advection towards the US.

Lol the whole kitchen sink and pipes ?? but yeah it would probably also mean after the cold settles a sneaky ridge will try to pop back up and move east .. I wanna see ensembles

Good news for folks in the SE US is the 12z ECMWF has compromised a little with the GFS/GEFS and is more progressive this time around, but not as progressive as yesterday's 12z.

Looks like this was just noise, today's ensemble mean looking a little more like this morning's 0z op

Back