• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 12-13 Cold & Light Mix

a71bc649be17443a7a8b80351f28f66f.jpg

Had to take my wife to VCU today for her two week checkup after surgery. This was the sight in Short Pump, VA near Richmond.

68fea2ac21032b0c01a4b8585a349269.jpg

This was in Williamsburg, VA on the way home. We had snow from noon today until 7pm. The trip from VCU to Williamsburg and back to Elizabeth City. It was a beautiful sight to see and drive in all day. Listened to Christmas music and made it feel so festive.

And I'm back with another map created through ArcGIS. I decided to put in the latest snow cover analysis (as of 00z) from NOAA's NOSRHC. Do note that it's a bit exaggerated for northern counties of North Carolina, but the grey is still below an inch of snow.

NOAA Analysis_2.png

A weak, but non-negligible lake effect snow band is coming off of Lake Kerr and has produced some light snow across parts of Johnston, Wayne, Wilson, & Nash Counties this evening.

Can confirm it's snowing a bit here in northeastern Johnston County near the 5-county point.

I'm legitimately curious just how far south it's snowing underneath that lake effect band, because the lowest tilt shows legitimate returns all the way into southern Sampson County. Of course the lake effect band weakens w/ distance from Kerr Lake, but the radar beam is so high by the time its in Sampson Co, it's likely overshooting the low-topped LES band. Pretty insane to think we're even discussing lake effect snow in central NC lol

Back