• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

Nobody's talking about the Euro? Hmmm. I'll tell you the GFS clown now has the king as his joker. Snow across NC and the upper south on the 12th.View attachment 25289
The Control is in agreement as well, however, a bit more bullish
1573646400-8yDwvwR4lx0.png

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-se-z500_anom-3646400.png

Most folks will probably like the 12Z EPS for temperatures for 11/12-17 as they're cooler than the 0Z run. Here's what the 12Z EPS has for the SE as a whole: averaging warmer than normal for 11/5 through AM of 11/8 and then mainly cooler than normal late 11/8 through 17, with some of that cool even getting down to @pcbjr and myself. Keep in mind that the EPS has had a warm bias recently.

Most folks will probably like the 12Z EPS for temperatures for 11/12-17 as they're cooler than the 0Z run. Here's what the 12Z EPS has for the SE as a whole: averaging warmer than normal for 11/5 through AM of 11/8 and then mainly cooler than normal late 11/8 through 17, with some of that cool even getting down to @pcbjr and myself. Keep in mind that the EPS has had a warm bias recently.
Larry,
Cool weather in November is nice, and enjoyable, and we certainly have no control over when it comes, or how cool it'll be, but preferentially, after 12/15 through 3/15 is, well, the optimum for us anyways ...
Phil

Larry,
Cool weather in November is nice, and enjoyable, and we certainly have no control over when it comes, or how cool it'll be, but preferentially, after 12/15 through 3/15 is, well, the optimum for us anyways ...
Phil

Meanwhile, today's cool is near ideal for walking! I plan to go for a 3rd day in a row great walk later. So far, 3 out of 3 for Nov! They won't all be good but that's a nice start.

If that bias remains, then I could easily see us having a cooler November overall. Even without the bias and acting if it's dead on, that's great news.

Meanwhile, today's cool is near ideal for walking! I plan to go for a 3rd day in a row great walk later. So far, 3 out of 3 for Nov! They won't all be good but that's a nice start.
The walks have been stellar ... this AM the birds were not even chirping it was so cool (46º) ... drifted back to August, lowered my head a tad and said a "thank you" prayer for today ...

Obviously a completely different setup, but ironically it snowed on November 10-12th 1987 during what was also a 2nd year El Nino event in the winter of 1987-88.
View attachment 25301

Everyone around here of course remembers 1987-88 for what followed in January:
View attachment 25302
As GaWx has stated in the past, that memorable storm, occurred during a +NAO! We are good at those!

As GaWx has stated in the past, that memorable storm, occurred during a +NAO! We are good at those!

The hemispheric 500mb pattern associated w/ the historic Jan 1988 storm ought to look familiar...

Big cold vortex over SE Canada/+NAO/-EPO & a respectable SW Atlantic subtropical ridge, a pattern we've seen over & over since 2012-13.
compday.GxkM040WGs.gif

With the placement of snowfall, it appears that the low would be a southern slider, (snow on back side) and low tracks along the eastern coast.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Actually It’s a low that makes its way up the EC. Normally this setup would bring us rain, but because of the Extremely low height, precipitation falls as snow.
7F330074-F45A-4EB5-87C5-F30E2AB9E3A3.png0F98BE49-27CB-4097-972A-4A06787EEAE6.png

I still think the upper south should still watch this one, it's not that far off for something special
Yeah, it actually was not a bad run. Precip was just lighter and too far south/east. I still wouldn't wager any money we get anything, but still something to keep an eye on.

It's really difficult to imagine anything more than token flakes this time of year. But whatever, never say never.

Back