• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

If I were in DC or Philly, I would get excited
1573365600-8ss9qwSF0ms.png

King being the UK. Euro got dethroned about 2 year ago.

The thing is that just about any other model looks like a king when it is compared to the FV3 with regard to cold bias. Heck, the FV3 is even capable of making the CMC look sane. I think the CMC has improved somewhat with the last major modification but I’m not sure yet.

Unfortunately, I think the phrase “fake cold” will be thought of endlessly this winter when looking at the FV3 10+ day forecasts and to a good extent even just within the period of days 6-9. Some of this will be due mainly to too much progression like with what happened 10/30-1.

The last winter I worried about an operational GFS model with this level of cold bias was 2001-2.

Edit: In the meantime, what a glorious weekend of wx in the SE US this weekend! It doesn’t get much better than this, folks. Get out and enjoy it!

Last edited:
The thing I've noticed over the years is once it starts warming up on the models, it never changes back. Not sure why they cannot fix the cold bias of the gfs.

I think we need webber on here explaining what Anthony Masiello is talking about with his Twitter posts lol

It looks like he’s optimistic about at least a weak PV/PV disruptions in the near term. Also thinks the MJO gets going at a high amplitude so maybe by Dec we can be in Phase 8-1 (and it can actually mean something) for some east coast fireworks. This is assuming because HM doesn’t elaborate much on context, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened since yesterday’s total nonsense 18Z FV3 run as of 18Z on 11/12 near Atlanta?

18Z: 29
0Z: 37
6Z: 55
12Z: 65

That same Happy Hour run also has a low of 29 the next day at Orlando! This is going to be a very long winter of watching the FV3. o_O
Fortunately, we’ll always have the King to keep folks grounded.

Meanwhile, the 12Z Euro cooled considerably for 18Z on 11/12 at ATL from a chilly 52 on the 0Z to a downright cold 42 on the 12Z. To compare, the record coldest high there for 11/12 is 39.
This Euro then has a low of 31 at KSAV (vs the record low of 29) and 32 at the abode of @pcbjr on 11/13 (also vs a record low of 29)!

It looks like he’s optimistic about at least a weak PV/PV disruptions in the near term. Also thinks the MJO gets going at a high amplitude so maybe by Dec we can be in Phase 8-1 (and it can actually mean something) for some east coast fireworks. This is assuming because HM doesn’t elaborate much on context, lol

sort of the tim leary philosophy on weather discussion ... o_O

Nobody's talking about the Euro? Hmmm. I'll tell you the GFS clown now has the king as his joker. Snow across NC and the upper south on the 12th.View attachment 25289

I just have a hard time believing any map after last year. I was lead astray by the GFS and Euro. I do believe someone north of the Deep South will see something.

Back