• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

Let's look at some maps, while we're waiting. Waiting on what? Storms today, strong cold fronts, fall weather, hints of winter, winter forecast releases...anything interesting, that's what:

Walking through the 0z GFS 500mb progression over the next 16 days, we see a few interesting things, some of which feel like getting a rock in your trick or treat bag. We start out with a Reese's cup pumpkin at 120:

Nice Aleutian low, ridge off the west coast up into Canada, and a flow out of the north, centering a trough over the central US. Not ideal, but should bring seasonable weather, and certainly not horrific.

0z120.jpg

At 180, we see a semblance of the Aleutian low, but we also see a full latitude trough developing in the Pacific. The ridge has pinched off over AK and is starting to roll over. Still have a nice flow out of Canada, but it ends up more zonal across the south. I would expect this to be seasonable to slightly warm. Looks like a tootsie roll to me.

0z180.jpg

At 240, you can see our AK ridge has rolled over, forcing the Aleutian low/trough to become oriented west-east, forcing the jets stream into a mild zonal flow pattern. I would expect seasonable to warm across the south. They just tossed us a dum dum.

0z240.jpg

And finally, going out to 384, just because we can, we see all sorts of quarriable items: Granite, quartz, feldspar, you name it. Big +NAO, fast, mild Pac Jet, and our lifelong friend, the SE ridge. Going to be hard to swallow this jawbreaker.

0z384.jpg

Fortunately for us, we just have to wait 6 hours. The 6z at 240 has our EPO ridge, more favorably oriented with a low underneath, a split flow and high pressure to the north. This is probably seasonably cool. Makes it easier to chuck down that Crunch bar.

6z240new.jpg

And at 384, just because, we have a decent EPO ridge, a low displaced south of the Aleutians, and a split flow, with highs migrating across the northern tier. I guess that's probably cool weather and a pack of smarties. Certainly better than chomping down on an amethyst.

6z384new.jpg

Just for funsies, here are some Euro maps. The Europeans are throwing out peanut M&Ms, Milkyway Darks, and World's Finest Chocolate. Happy Halloween!

Euro120.png

Euro192.png

Euro240.png

Let's look at some maps, while we're waiting. Waiting on what? Storms today, strong cold fronts, fall weather, hints of winter, winter forecast releases...anything interesting, that's what:

Walking through the 0z GFS 500mb progression over the next 16 days, we see a few interesting things, some of which feel like getting a rock in your trick or treat bag. We start out with a Reese's cup pumpkin at 120:

Nice Aleutian low, ridge off the west coast up into Canada, and a flow out of the north, centering a trough over the central US. Not ideal, but should bring seasonable weather, and certainly not horrific.

View attachment 25158

At 180, we see a semblance of the Aleutian low, but we also see a full latitude trough developing in the Pacific. The ridge has pinched off over AK and is starting to roll over. Still have a nice flow out of Canada, but it ends up more zonal across the south. I would expect this to be seasonable to slightly warm. Looks like a tootsie roll to me.

View attachment 25159

At 240, you can see our AK ridge has rolled over, forcing the Aleutian low/trough to become oriented west-east, forcing the jets stream into a mild zonal flow pattern. I would expect seasonable to warm across the south. They just tossed us a dum dum.

View attachment 25160

And finally, going out to 384, just because we can, we see all sorts of quarriable items: Granite, quartz, feldspar, you name it. Big +NAO, fast, mild Pac Jet, and our lifelong friend, the SE ridge. Going to be hard to swallow this jawbreaker.

View attachment 25161

Fortunately for us, we just have to wait 6 hours. The 6z at 240 has our EPO ridge, more favorably oriented with a low underneath, a split flow and high pressure to the north. This is probably seasonably cool. Makes it easier to chuck down that Crunch bar.

View attachment 25162

And at 384, just because, we have a decent EPO ridge, a low displaced south of the Aleutians, and a split flow, with highs migrating across the northern tier. I guess that's probably cool weather and a pack of smarties. Certainly better than chomping down on an amethyst.

View attachment 25163

Just for funsies, here are some Euro maps. The Europeans are throwing out peanut M&Ms, Milkyway Darks, and World's Finest Chocolate. Happy Halloween!

View attachment 25164

View attachment 25165

View attachment 25166
I read this post with DT's voice in my head....

Thank god. I dont want to get stuck in that hell hole for any extra time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Kansas is a wonferful state filled with some of the nicest people you will ever find. What part of Kansas will you be visiting?

gone from 72 at midnight into the upper 40s currently. Still mixed with rain. What a cold front. Don't expect snow flurries to survive the plateau here though.

View attachment 25158

View attachment 25159

View attachment 25160

View attachment 25161

View attachment 25162

View attachment 25163

View attachment 25164

View attachment 25165

View attachment 25166

Just looked at the Euro/EPS. Can we get an order of that the next few months?

Kansas is a wonferful state filled with some of the nicest people you will ever find. What part of Kansas will you be visiting?
Oh the people are nice but travelling for work isn't exactly something that makes me happy. I'll be in edgerton, atchison, overland park

Oh the people are nice but travelling for work isn't exactly something that makes me happy. I'll be in edgerton, atchison, overland park

The southwestern KC suburbs are really nice. Do you think they will ever transfer you to Kansas ?

Stayed at the Sheraton in OP many times. Nice area.

Good grief it's only October with a very nice pattern ahead that we been asking for all summer to break the extreme heat curse, and people are still not satisfied? I dont believe in a precurse season, what more could you as for with bundle of moisture coming from the gulf with a nice shot of cold air behind it. If some on here would stop complaining about next month and the month after maybe just maybe we can have things going our way. All this complaining is wearing off on the new people.
I think we tend to forget sometimes that we live in the southeast where snow and sustained cold are rare.

Accu, I think RC said it best; We’re cautiously pessimistic. Also I would disagree that the complainers are wearing on the newcomers. I could argue that the eternal optomists are more difficult to wade through. Just some of my thoughts there. I think we can all agree that we like snow.
I fully agree about the eternal optimists. Being pessimistic about winter down here is just being a realist. Optimism is borderline delusional. Lol

Back