• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Muddy March 2021

After the warm up on the GFS, this is actually a legit look View attachment 76787

Legit ZR threat fwiw that far out. Who’s to say that this doesn’t end up being the final widespread wintry precip threat of the season? Of course, the GFS may be on crack and it not get nearly this cold. It has been cold biased. But we still watch just in case.

Please do not toss, folks! I’ve asked SouthernWx staff to put a moratorium on tossing this run. Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Legit ZR threat fwiw that far out. Who’s to say that this doesn’t end up being the final widespread wintry precip threat of the season? Of course, the GFS may be on crack and it not get nearly this cold. It has been cold biased. But we still watch just in case.

Please do not toss, folks! I’ve asked SouthernWx staff to put a moratorium on tossing this run. Your cooperation is much appreciated.

With the successive warmer runs for Friday I would not toss this run. I would jettison it into outer space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although the GFS may easily be on crack, the first half of March has been the proud host of sig to major SE winter storms that are not relegated mainly to NC/upstate SC:

1924, 1942, 1948, 1960 (3!), 1962, 1980, 1993, 2009 among others

So, 8 winters of the last 97 or one every 12 winters on average if I haven't left off any. The ones I listed had a big impact even down in much of GA and also SC/AL in many cases.

And I'm leaving off a good number of relatively minor events.

Moral of the majority: early March, especially first week, is still very much winter. Actually, I think some of the first week is in met winter by some definitions for some areas of the US. Keep in mind that the Arctic coldest average is not til 2/25.

So, time to be a weenie: 2009 + 12 = 2021!

Last edited:
The gfs keeps insisting on sub -40C at 850 in SE Canada just north of the US 2/28-3/2. I mean that is insanely cold anytime of winter. Whereas extreme cold there isn’t unheard of this late in the season, the gfs is probably on crack due to cold bias. But, I am noticing the Euro trending colder there the last few runs. It is that extreme cold that leads to the borderline SE ZR soon after on gfs. Although odds favor gfs is on crack with the intensity of the cold, has anyone asked themselves “what if gfs at least has a good clue?” and 850s there still get to, say, sub -32C? What if?

The gfs keeps insisting on sub -40C at 850 in SE Canada just north of the US 2/28-3/2. I mean that is insanely cold anytime of winter. Whereas extreme cold there isn’t unheard of this late in the season, the gfs is probably on crack due to cold bias. But, I am noticing the Euro trending colder there the last few runs. It is that extreme cold that leads to the borderline SE ZR soon after on gfs. Although odds favor gfs is on crack with the intensity of the cold, has anyone asked themselves “what if gfs at least has a good clue?” and 850s there still get to, say, sub -32C? What if?
You seem to be a lot more knowledgeable than me, but isn’t March getting late to have widespread ZR/IP storms? It just seems that after 3/1 SE winter storms tend to take the form of snow. I’m sure there have been March ice storms, but I honestly can’t recall any in my lifetime

Back