• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May Discussion

Dec 2011 was +2.9, Jan 2012 was +2.9 and Feb 2012 was +2.1 at GSP. Dec 2022 was -1.5, Jan 2023 was +5.2 and Feb 2023 was +7.1 at GSP. Even though Dec was below average this winter it didn't erase the extreme warmth of Jan and Feb. So overall way warmer than 11-12 overall and just as snowless. This winter was a complete dumpster fire!
Good research there. That pretty much tells the tell. I guess I just remember 2011-12 so fondly because it was snowless along with this winter. My 2nd snowless winter in my life living here since 82.

Pretty good hail storm here in Spartanburg earlier. I started seeing a lot of white mix in on the radar returns and then it hit. I’ll have to check the cars and roof tomorrow.

Pretty good hail storm here in Spartanburg earlier. I started seeing a lot of white mix in on the radar returns and then it hit. I’ll have to check the cars and roof tomorrow.

Looks like we might get some action here in north Georgia tomorrow? See some up far northwest are getting a bit tonight.

If your roof is not super-new, definitely a good idea to have it checked out by a roofer you trust. If they spot any damage, probably worth using that insurance you're paying for every month. We had a brief but intense hail storm here just south of downtown in late March and there are a lot of new shingles flying around.

Never too early for a little next winter sneak peak.. really looks like El Niño type of pattern. Active southern jet but it’ll be hard to get the cold air this time. Good storm track and storm systems are usually plentiful in El Niño patterns.. let’s see how it holds up. (Peep the blocking over Greenland.. fun if we could also get some cold air with it)5D4D85EC-3D35-4034-BDC4-8C0302405DC0.jpeg99EDB27F-61E7-434B-8EF0-D730B164A07A.jpeg

Never too early for a little next winter sneak peak.. really looks like El Niño type of pattern. Active southern jet but it’ll be hard to get the cold air this time. Good storm track and storm systems are usually plentiful in El Niño patterns.. let’s see how it holds up. (Peep the blocking over Greenland.. fun if we could also get some cold air with it)View attachment 135141View attachment 135142
Trust me, you don't watch that giant ridge over the NE. Zonal flow all the way.

Never too early for a little next winter sneak peak.. really looks like El Niño type of pattern. Active southern jet but it’ll be hard to get the cold air this time. Good storm track and storm systems are usually plentiful in El Niño patterns.. let’s see how it holds up. (Peep the blocking over Greenland.. fun if we could also get some cold air with it)View attachment 135141View attachment 135142
"It'll be hard to get the cold this time." THIS TIME? Lol

I don't think it much matters what ENSO state we're in. For whatever reason, something is preventing cold air from penetrating into the SE and hanging out long enough to team up with moisture. But I agree with you, it should be wet, at least.

Monday is going to be an interesting day depending on how strong the wave embedded in the NW flow is. If we can realize a steady rain some areas of nc may get stuck in the upper 50s low 60s with some severe weather along the wedge front

Monday is going to be an interesting day depending on how strong the wave embedded in the NW flow is. If we can realize a steady rain some areas of nc may get stuck in the upper 50s low 60s with some severe weather along the wedge front

I got all of next week off I need some fun weather and would love a good ole fashion storm chase day....my avatar is a tornado I chased way back in the early 2000's and only the second time I ever actually saw a tornado, the other time was this one that missed my house by 100 yrds....

The Pitt County Tornado that affected communities near Greenville was determined to be a low end EF1 with winds estimated from damage of 85 to 90 mph. This tornado struck a more populated area causing minor damage to approximately 40 homes. Shingles were off roofs, debris blown into roofs, siding taken off homes, and some small trees were down. This tornado started out at Dudleys Grant Road, crossed Firetower Road. moving northeast, and affected a subdivision along Ashcroft Drive. The tornado damage path was approximately 100 yards wide, and was on the ground for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Damages were estimated at $200,000. There were no deaths or injuries.

I got all of next week off I need some fun weather and would love a good ole fashion storm chase day....my avatar is a tornado I chased way back in the early 2000's and only the second time I ever actually saw a tornado, the other time was this one that missed my house by 100 yrds....

The Pitt County Tornado that affected communities near Greenville was determined to be a low end EF1 with winds estimated from damage of 85 to 90 mph. This tornado struck a more populated area causing minor damage to approximately 40 homes. Shingles were off roofs, debris blown into roofs, siding taken off homes, and some small trees were down. This tornado started out at Dudleys Grant Road, crossed Firetower Road. moving northeast, and affected a subdivision along Ashcroft Drive. The tornado damage path was approximately 100 yards wide, and was on the ground for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Damages were estimated at $200,000. There were no deaths or injuries.
I lived in Dudley's Grant (townhomes) at the time and remember this event well.

I lived in Dudley's Grant (townhomes) at the time and remember this event well.

I lived behind the White Bridge apts in those duplexes, walked out the front door looked towards the actual firetower and saw the tornado as it hit the tower, the air was full of those 40 ft long pieces of siding from Dudley Grant lol.....its a good thing they had removed the 300 trailers that use to call that property between Dudley and my house home....

Back