• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May Discussion

Nice structure west of Charlotte thankfully as of typical this time of year low levels aren't backed enough to really get a big tornado threat going. I'm not sure what gets this far east tonight suspect it's a sputtering ghost unless one of the cells along the VA border turns right.

@metwannabe is in a good spot along with a lot of the charlotte posters

Nice structure west of Charlotte thankfully as of typical this time of year low levels aren't backed enough to really get a big tornado threat going. I'm not sure what gets this far east tonight suspect it's a sputtering ghost unless one of the cells along the VA border turns right.

That's a monster. I like a good rain and some thunder, but I'm glad this cell is nowhere near me. No reports on it yet, but it has stayed over rural areas for the most part. If it keeps it's strength and goes into the Charlotte metro area I would not be surprised to hear of a 70+ wind gust and or a report of golfball hail.

Edit: 1 wind and 1 hail report on it now. Still headed towards the Charlotte metro.

Last edited:
That's a monster. I like a good rain and some thunder, but I'm glad this cell is nowhere near me. No reports on it yet, but it has stayed over rural areas for the most part. If it keeps it's strength and goes into the Charlotte metro area I would not be surprised to hear of a 70+ wind gust and or a report of golfball hail.

Edit: 1 wind and 1 hail report on it now. Still headed towards the Charlotte metro.
Yeah pretty classic right mover. Looks like it might be starting to wind down as it gets into a slightly worse environment. That said the line segments getting going off the mountains look legit

That fizzled fast lol

Wonder if this will the second time in a row not getting a storm when under a watch.
Severe Thunderstorm Watch- A statement issued by the National weather Service (NWS) that indicates thunderstorms are possible in your area.

pos·si·bil·i·ty
/ˌpäsəˈbilədē/

noun
  1. a thing that may happen or be the case

Severe Thunderstorm Watch- A statement issued by the National weather Service (NWS) that indicates thunderstorms are possible in your area.

pos·si·bil·i·ty
/ˌpäsəˈbilədē/

noun
  1. a thing that may happen or be the case
I know what it means. Just saying often I miss out on storms when under a watch. Just a personal observation, which is something people post about on message boards. So no need to be a jerk.

Storms coming over the mountains on the state line now have some legit lightening and wind with them. 3rd time it’s rained today and looks like a solid line coming over down 26. Got a 1.5” from the storms over the weekend and the rain has been needed

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
929 PM EDT TUE MAY 16 2023

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN ALAMANCE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
SOUTHERN ORANGE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
SOUTHEASTERN GUILFORD COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1015 PM EDT.

* AT 928 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED 8 MILES SOUTHWEST
OF ELON, OR 10 MILES SOUTHWEST OF BURLINGTON, MOVING EAST AT 45
MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS, SIDING, AND TREES.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
CHAPEL HILL, BURLINGTON, GRAHAM, HILLSBOROUGH, CARRBORO, MEBANE,
ELON, GIBSONVILLE, HAW RIVER AND SWEPSONVILLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A
BUILDING.

STRAIGHT LINE WINDS CAN BLOW DOWN TREES, POWER LINES, AND DAMAGE
MOBILE HOMES AND OTHER BUILDINGS. SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE
UNTIL THE STORM HAS PASSED. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS AS FLYING DEBRIS
GENERATED BY DAMAGING WINDS CAN BE DEADLY.

Hrrr couldn't get a handle on tonight. Earlier it showed the line getting here but as the runs went on through the night it dropped the line. This was the 01z run for 2am versus reality. Big miss 3 hours out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517_014513_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_014513_Chrome.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230517_014359_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_014359_Chrome.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 14
Back