• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 2024 Discussion

I’ll be down that way in late April. Going to Key west for a few days. Can’t wait!! That whole drive from Miami through the Keys is beautiful!
The smell far outweighs the beauty. That's the most disgusting drive I've ever been on.

The WIND is very under-rated in the inter-mountain west. When I lived in WY the winds would easy get to 60+ at times. (mostly gusts but that crap was crazy). They were mostly out of the SW and down sloping as well.

Yeah the other thing I noticed in the national park in Colorado was some areas were super windy and some were like nah it wasn't cold at all 🤣

I’ll be down that way in late April. Going to Key west for a few days. Can’t wait!! That whole drive from Miami through the Keys is beautiful!
made that surprisingly long drive once with my mom 20yrs ago... but flew back to MIA from Key West. I swear that drive was 7hrs down from Aventura!! Lol beautiful tho

That is true, Columbia is unbearable in my book. Easley isn't bad by South Carolina standards, but is is still way too hot and humid for me. You really need to be above 3000ft to have a tolerable summer around here, and even then there's still too much humidity and bugs, but at least you can get some 50s at night. Columbia towards the coast is a different level though.
Columbia is the center of hell itself in the summer. Between Concord and Columbia its fascinating how different the microclimates are in the 95 miles as the crow flies!!

The older I get the less I can tolerate the heat. If it weren't for the stuffiness, the overbearing humidity, the constant sweating, the endless bugs, the allergies, the weeds, the vines, the stretching of all this earlier and later in the year, and inability for even nights to cool off I wouldn't mind the summer! Honestly if I could, I would just put Sept -March weather on repeat. Sept is plenty of heat for me and I know it's on the way out and the days are getting shorter.
It's almost eerie how I feel you 10000% on every bit of this post!

Columbia is the center of hell itself in the summer. Between Concord and Columbia its fascinating how different the microclimates are in the 95 miles as the crow flies!!
Charlotte proper is very bad and now has the climate that Columbia SC had 20 years ago and central mid Virginia has the climate Charlotte used to have. The only way to escape it is to get above 3500’ level above the altitude of Boone and Asheville in Western NC

Charlotte proper is very bad and now has the climate that Columbia SC had 20 years ago and central mid Virginia has the climate Charlotte used to have. The only way to escape it is to get above 3500’ level above the altitude of Boone and Asheville in Western NC
Your post made me want to see how bad it was in comparison to days past. So, I took a look At Charlotte Douglas international airport temperatures on “weather underground” archives . I went backward to 1949, at every 5 years, for the month of January. ( I figure this should be enough data to see a major change ) 75years to see the numbers for myself. Well this is what I found

The data was complete in regard to monthly high temps and monthly avg temps, unfortunately monthly low temps were often missing. I could have taken the time to do the math but I think you can get the message from the monthly average temp.

1) The warmest Jan average temp 1949 at 49.79 followed by 1999 at 46.6 then 2019 at 44.41

2) 2014 2019 and 2024 were almost identical at just above 44 degrees on average the warmest 3 consecutive selections

3) the 3 avg coldest consecutive was 1974,1979 and 1984 at daily avg temp of 35.48 (The height of industrial pollution in America)

4) the oldest 3 , 1949,1954 and 1959 averaged 43.87 degrees

5) the average of the 15 selected dates from 1949 thru 2024 was 43.41 degrees

6)The last 3 selected 2014,2019, and 2024 were the were 44.32 degrees, which is .91 degrees warmer.

My Conclusion seems to indicate slightly warmer temperature, but not significant enough to cause major change in climate. I am not a pro, but that’s what the numbers look like to me.

The WIND is very under-rated in the inter-mountain west. When I lived in WY the winds would easy get to 60+ at times. (mostly gusts but that crap was crazy). They were mostly out of the SW and down sloping as well.
Definitely. I remember in South Dakota a few years back it was so windy! Temperatures were mild enough (60s for highs), but with the ripping wind it actually felt somewhat chilly.

It's actually impressive that this first week of March pattern might be a complete 180 from what most expected.

That wedge the weekend of the 2nd could really ugly things up in the traditional areas

Interesting graphic I found on Webber’s website. It does a good job of showing how some of the bigger NC storms actually tend to occur in February - Early March as opposed to January. Even though January typically averages more snowfall overall, the more juiced up storms tend to happen later in the winter.

nc-winter-storm-climatology-graph_orig.png

It's actually impressive that this first week of March pattern might be a complete 180 from what most expected.

That wedge the weekend of the 2nd could really ugly things up in the traditional areas
Yeah I can’t say that I’m surprised. You can see how the STJ is really starting to kick back up next week. Even the torch we’re getting next week only looks like it will be 3 days before a cool off and then we’ll probably be CAD rained to death.

Yeah I can’t say that I’m surprised. You can see how the STJ is really starting to kick back up next week. Even the torch we’re getting next week only looks like it will be 3 days before a cool off and then we’ll probably be CAD rained to death.
There are ways we could screw up next weeks warm up. I doubt it but it's but far off

Watch the mjo over the next week or so. More IO convection and forcing may lead to a blockier north Atlantic, more forcing in the MC and its more of a SER/WC or central us trough

Back