• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry March 05-06th 2019 Wintry Weather

For the 2nd run in a row, the GFS has no wintry anywhere in the SE. About the best it has is mid to upper 40s and some very shortlived light rain in a small part of south central GA (including here). A total nothinburger.

Yep, it is trending to perhaps a very short period of light rain in a small strip of mainly GA/SC. Yawn. This is currently much less of a threat than even that anafront fail in AL/GA of a few weeks ago.
The first freezes for many in a long time that are following this are much more interesting to me. Maybe they'd kill back the dang bugs some for now. I found 3 wasps in my house in 3 days and can't figure out how they're getting in. It isn't from opening any door or window.

Last edited:
I'd like to note that modeling that does have precipitation in areas like SC.. is probably too little for the snow growth region to be saturated enough for snowflakes(if 850mb temps are even cold enough), much less heavy snowfall to cool down the atmosphere.. Combine that with less than ideal temps, and you end up with overcast & light drizzle.

I think if anyone sees enough precip for snow it’ll be in NC. The GFS and it’s ensembles had been showing that, the ICON hints at it and the NAM does too. It’ll all depend on how strong the system is and how much moisture there is aloft. Here’s a sounding for an area the NAM shows getting snow in NC.
478A1962-41C0-4FA3-95BE-ACFD547F2296.png

0Z Euro: other than skirting the coast with light rain, it has virtually no measurable precip in NC. It like other models has very light rain in E SC. It has short lived very light SN in a very thin strip central MS, AL, west central GA (Columbus), which I’m not buying right now as snow. It would be very light rain, if anything falls that light.

Last edited:
Good morning 6z Nam
namconus_asnow_seus_20.png

Back