• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry March 05-06th 2019 Wintry Weather

Weird, even with the weaker energy, you would think there would be more precip ??

I count 14 ensembles showing snow for me? Weird

Keep in mind the SE US cold bias of the GEFS vs the GFS, which isn’t cold biased. Perhaps that is somehow causing a false signal. Another thing is the tendency of the ensemble members to clump up with a similar solution, something @Webberweather53 has noted in the past.

I’d go with the EPS over GEFS for now due to its higher accuracy and just hope it will trend in the right direction. There’s still just enough time. Let’s see what the 18Z shows in the next hour or so.

How many of the 51 members of the 12Z EPS give you wintry precip?

18z RGEM hour 54 intrigues me.View attachment 17146

Interesting little bit of moisture in the 12z euro and it’s ensembles too. Worth watching as different models are picking up on this. Maybe these areas will get snow after all!

d0843c5684d9e6afd634b182eb127549.jpg

053b22abc80d8d71e8c3de9cfa1a60d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting little bit of moisture in the 12z euro and it’s ensembles too. Worth watching as different models are picking up on this. Maybe these areas will get snow after all!

It’s nice if other parts of the SE can at least see snowflakes

Fv3 has some moisture in those areas as well looks like mostly rain though.488DEDA8-CE17-4295-8979-7E6B0E6035BB.png

Fv3 has some moisture in those areas as well looks like mostly rain though.View attachment 17154

It definitely looks much too warm for anything wintry anywhere near here. What had earlier in the week looked like cold to my area by then got delayed like usual. We may get some light cool rain though.

Last edited:
It definitely looks much too warm for anything wintry anywhere near here. What had earlier in the week looked like cold to my area by then got delayed like usual. We may get some light cool rain though.
36º and drizzle likely the best you'll (we'll) do ... and the drizzle when the 30's arrive is a really big, big "if" at this point in time ...

~~~~~~

but it was a raw, unpleasant and very wet day at Ponte Vedra today ... FWIW ...

Last edited:
36º and drizzle likely the best you'll (we'll) do ... and the drizzle when the 30's arrive is a really big, big "if" at this point in time ...

Phil,
I don’t even see that. I think mid 40s at the very coldest with the rain and probably more like 48-52. It is incredible how much the cold has backed out vs model consensus of just a week or so ago. Back then, it was showing far southern sliders for two waves in some cases going over S FL with 0C 850 at least down to my area and colder air already entrenched to the Gulf coast by no later than late on March 4 or early on March 5 (Tuesday). What does NWS Mon night and Tue forecast now have for here? Low of 45 and then high of 62. Gainesville is forecasted at an even warmer 50 followed by a high of 62. The cold and a potential light freeze now don’t even get to us til Tue night, which is after this second wave goes through.

Phil,
I don’t even see that. I think mid 40s at the very coldest with the rain and probably more like 48-52. It is incredible how much the cold has backed out vs model consensus of just a week or so ago. Back then, it was showing far southern sliders for two waves in some cases going over S FL with 0C 850 at least down to my area and colder air already entrenched to the Gulf coast by early on March 5 (Tuesday). What does NWS Mon night and Tue forecast now have for here? Low of 45 and then high of 62. Gainesville is forecasted at an even warmer 50 followed by a high of 62. The cold and a potential light freeze now don’t even get to us til Tue night, which is after this second wave goes through.
Not getting too deep into IMBY ... and I've been at Ponte Vedra all day so haven't studied, but NWS JAX (KGNV) is showing 38º Tuesday and 36º Wednesday night ... TWC is even more aggressive at 35º Wednesday ... point being, if it gets cold, rain and moisture are long gone ... that much I did look at hard ... :cool:

If this doesn’t fire up some at least light precip I’m getting high, energy is stronger 441F088C-A4A2-443A-B965-95618DEE223E.gif

Back