• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Notice the cirrus outflow, little "fingers" in the SE quad of the storm? This is a sign that shear has relaxed and the storm is really beginning to "breathe" and evacuate air hence the clearing eye. It will also help prevent further dry air intrusions now that this has happened. Unfortunately it appears the models are correct with the RI prior to landfall. Cat 4 is likely IMO and cat 5 has a small chance of occurring still.
goes16_ir_meso1_20181009183531.jpg

Even if the Euro is overdone, that’s still a scary signal given its current appearance and the convective energy it has to work with tonight.

Even if the Euro is overdone, that’s still a scary signal given its current appearance and the convective energy it has to work with tonight.
Honestly the Euro may not be strong enough... in a storm that has an environment for RI and deep convection like this they often get even stronger than modeled. Sub 930mb is not out of the realm of possibility here.

Honestly the Euro may not be strong enough... in a storm that has an environment for RI and deep convection like this they often get even stronger than modeled. Sub 930mb is not out of the realm of possibility here.

For reference, Opal got down 916mb

I have a meeting in Bay St Louis tomorrow morning at 7 . Trying to decide if I am going to head east afterwards or head home ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you find the best track info (I think Eric shared it one day but I can't find it)
I actually don't have a link for it, I usually just pull it from another board that I use for tropical weather and usually someone there posts it as soon as it goes live.

I actually don't have a link for it, I usually just pull it from another board that I use for tropical weather and usually someone there posts it as soon as it goes live.
Found this on the NCAR site..... if correct that's 120 mph??

At 1800 UTC, 09 October 2018, MAJOR HURRICANE MICHAEL (AL14) was located in the North Atlantic basin at 25.5°N and 86.4°W. The current intensity was 105 kt and the center was moving at 10 kt at a bearing of 340 degrees. The minimum central pressure was 960 mb.

Found this on the NCAR site..... if correct that's 120 mph??

At 1800 UTC, 09 October 2018, MAJOR HURRICANE MICHAEL (AL14) was located in the North Atlantic basin at 25.5°N and 86.4°W. The current intensity was 105 kt and the center was moving at 10 kt at a bearing of 340 degrees. The minimum central pressure was 960 mb.
Yep that's it! I calculated the knots wrong, so it would be 120mph at 5pm.

Dang and to think it hasn't yet realized it's full potential, this is getting critical
Yeah these overshooting tops are -80C and some have approached -90C. The landfall areas are going to see tremendous surge and winds from this and Euro intensity seems on track and might not be strong enough. Sub 930mb is definitely possible here and cat 5, although unlikely, is possible. The only thing really that could slow this down is if an EWRC manages to start before landfall.

Back