• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Curious as to why none of our major news outlets near Columbus and Atlanta are not mentioning anything to the northwest side of the storm??? I realize that NW side is typically drier and not as much wind... however I still think that areas between Columbus and Atlanta (I85 corridor) can see some damaging winds... we have a front pushing in... as someone already mentioned...wet ground makes it much easier for lesser amounts of wind to take out trees... FFC says pretty much no impacts north of Columbus and Macon.. this is one powerful storm... and I could be wrong, but personally think that wind field that causes fallen trees will be much bigger and stronger than they currently show on their website..... my 2 cents..

Is it me, or does Michael have all the bad stuff on the west side?

Can some post 12z eps?
eps_michael.png

Is it me, or does Michael have all the bad stuff on the west side?
No.. the worst of this storm, wind, surge, etc will be in the NE quadrant, once inland the strongest wind and any tornado threat will be on the NE/E side..... only thing different will be the heavy rain enhanced by interaction with the digging trough on the NW side, where totals could possibly be higher than elsewhere.

Curious as to why none of our major news outlets near Columbus and Atlanta are not mentioning anything to the northwest side of the storm??? I realize that NW side is typically drier and not as much wind... however I still think that areas between Columbus and Atlanta (I85 corridor) can see some damaging winds... we have a front pushing in... as someone already mentioned...wet ground makes it much easier for lesser amounts of wind to take out trees... FFC says pretty much no impacts north of Columbus and Macon.. this is one powerful storm... and I could be wrong, but personally think that wind field that causes fallen trees will be much bigger and stronger than they currently show on their website..... my 2 cents..

Yeah even the station here in Montgomery isn’t really hyped about it, they’re just talking about this being a wiregrass exclusive event.

This EPS suite has more members staying stronger for longer periods over land compared to 6z. Many appear to stay sub 980 the entire time. I'm guessing many would stay a tropical storm for the duration.

Here's Euro forecast gusts in knots. Keep in mind this sometimes is a bit high but it gives you an idea of where tropical storm force winds would occur in gusts if this takes a track like the Euro shows.
ecmwf_max_gust_se_108.png

Likely going to be way too far south to garner much of a story. If the storm doesn’t make as much of an abrupt shift NE, or makes it more gradually, then I would expect some coverage.

I know on most precipitation maps, most of my county (Dekalb) won’t see more than an inch or so of rain.

Back