• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

If this is 135-145mph at landfall gusts will be 160-170 in some areas. This is going to make a run for category 4 today, unfortunately. I hope everyone in Panama City is evacuated because there will not be much left after the surge and wind moves through.
This isn’t really true.. because of friction you usually see the sustained winds verify as gusts on land.. so 135-145 gusts...

This isn’t really true.. because of friction you usually see the sustained winds verify as gusts on land.. so 135-145 gusts...
Ocean front areas have no land to slow the winds down... so yes 160-170mph gusts are certainly possible in those areas if this is a cat 4.

He is still fighting some dry air too, never under estimate the power of a little dry air in a TC (although it only is probably just delaying the inevitable)

Latest visibles show the eye is clearing out more now, very ominous look.
goes16_vis_meso1_20181009152831.jpg

He is still fighting some dry air too, never under estimate the power of a little dry air in a TC (although it only is probably just delaying the inevitable)
Yeah the dry air has really slowed the western side of this system down but it now appears the eyewall is closing back off based on latest recon. IR is also showing the convection really wrapping now and if that continues there really isn't much to weaken it until landfall. I'm seeing reports on twitter of the surge already flooding some areas with water rises of a few feet so far.

One concerning thing I've noticed too, is even though the models are speeding up Michael initially, it's not rocketing out of here once inland like it once was. No Florence stall and crawl I know but any reduction in forward speed is problematic especially with the enhance precip on the NW side as noted previously

26.0N 85.6W 80 84 100/ 35/ 49 998.7

This buoy, which is just east of where the eye is headed, shows 84F or 29C SST, i.e., still bathwater/closer to norms of a month ago. It is this way all the way to the coast.

Last edited:
Back