• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

will never forget Opal, my first and probably only *true* hurricane so far inland(SW of Atlanta in Alabama). Only time I've seen entire powerlines down. School was out like a week

but yeah I don't remember a TS watch that far inland before

Was about to ask... Was a TS watch issued for Opal for the Atlanta metro? I remember that night as completely terrifying.

yep 3am watching the pine trees sway and then hearing a train roar

next thing I remember was 6am and the sun out and walking over powerlines. Seemed like things didn't go downhill til around 11pm so yeah

Opal was moving at 30 mph, it was very quick

Was about to ask... Was a TS watch issued for Opal for the Atlanta metro? I remember that night as completely terrifying.
I honestly have no clue if a TS Watch was issued but I remember somehow I slept through the whole thing. If I remember correctly the worst occurred at night in my area and by the time I woke up it was over. I was mad because I had intended on staying up to watch it.

We were without power for a week and a half with Opal. I was young. I don't recall if there was any kind of watch issued.

Lol, funny that this gfs run starts out wrong as well. It shows irma start making a due north as of now. Remember gfs is 6 hrs behide and she keeps moving west and west so far from the NHC

RECON is going to punch through again, lets see what she looks like

This. I've been in a couple tropical storms at the coast and one hurricane (Earl) and it was scary, but so many damn trees in Georgia made it so much louder!

Ivan is the only other one that has come close to me...I was older and much more weather aware by then(I had tracked Ivan from Africa lol) and it was daylight so it was more cool than anything, but the impact overall was a lot less severe too, I remember only being out of power 1 day.

I fully expect more of NGA to be under one tomorrow morning. It's just being issued phase by phase. They increased my winds to peak sustained at 40 and gusts to 60.
I'll be shocked if they move it any further north

Graphics
IMG_0202.png

Ivan is the only other one that has come close to me...I was older and much more weather aware by then(I had tracked Ivan from Africa lol) and it was daylight so it was more cool than anything, but the impact overall was a lot less severe too, I remember only being out of power 1 day.
I guess you don't get as much tropical action in Dallas ;)

Lucky ... or blessed ... try 9 days or 7 days or even 4 days at over 85º with no A/C ... :rolleyes:

Back