• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

Ivan got me hooked on watching hurricanes here in NW AL, I had estimated gusts to about 50-60 mph almost all day in the daylight, it was the most memorable weather event in my life even more than 10" of snow, the trees were bent over all day and power was out for at least a couple of days. Katrina sent gusts to about 70 mph and knock down larger trees here but I was asleep during the main action that was well after midnight. Irma's inland winds seem to weaken faster on the models compared to Katrina and Ivan in AL and the NHC has been making it post-tropical over NE AL, I've been trying to see why, what do you guys think? Upper level low dry air + FL peninsula interaction?

Ivan got me hooked on watching hurricanes here in NW AL, I had estimated gusts to about 50-60 mph almost all day in the daylight, it was the most memorable weather event in my life even more than 10" of snow, the trees were bent over all day and power was out for at least a couple of days. Katrina sent gusts to about 70 mph and knock down larger trees here but I was asleep during the main action that was well after midnight. Irma's inland winds seem to weaken faster on the models compared to Katrina and Ivan in AL and the NHC has been making it post-tropical over NE AL, I've been trying to see why, what do you guys think? Upper level low dry air + FL peninsula interaction?
I will g with FL land interaction but...

Having said that if the eye can stay a little offshore I believe Irma can maintain intensity while moving N and while accelerating maybe bringing possibly higher wind gust to the areas currently under a TS Watch..
Fun to track for sure

I think bc of all the land interaction of it going up the entire state of FL. I could be very wrong though.

the earlier recon didn't even support the 120 they had(they've been generous all day)... so yeah its clearly strengthening

Really looks like more NW movement to me for the first time tonight instead of more W. I'm just watching radarscope though, so I might be wrong.

yep 3am watching the pine trees sway and then hearing a train roar

next thing I remember was 6am and the sun out and walking over powerlines. Seemed like things didn't go downhill til around 11pm so yeah

Opal was moving at 30 mph, it was very quick
I was in Auburn during Opal. Fun times!

Sorry auto correct used it so much

NW all you getting though not moving N LoL

Weatherguy posted few minutes ago was W of advisory LoL
Yeah I saw that , seems like it's been west of the last few advisory tracks. Fun stuff

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

It definitely appears to be taking on a more northern component atm. Is this a wobble or will it continue? Fun stuff...not really

Back