• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

That would mean that every hurricane models has it wrong. I haven't seen that happen, and if you've read any of my posts, you know I lean with the HWRF. The weather community should be screaming right now. If you live between Mobile and Tampa, have a plan to leave.
Gotta watch how the system consolidates for the next 24-48 hours. If it looks good by tommorow night, then worse case scenario of major hurricane. If the shear keeps it in check by tomorrow night, then best case scenario of a Cat 1. We've seen if the system is broad, it has trouble strengthening to a major even in good conditions.

That would mean that every hurricane models has it wrong. I haven't seen that happen, and if you've read any of my posts, you know I lean with the HWRF. The weather community should be screaming right now. If you live between Mobile and Tampa, have a plan to leave.
I don't think Tampa but don't believe Mobile either. The trough is key, and it's odd that it's trending more progressive the last few runs. We need the trough timing locked in to know where this is going, but I'm betting PCB to the big bend as landfall but would say Apalachicola to the big bend as most likely.

248 kph, not mph.
If you note the max at the bottom right, that's almost 200 kmph, which is gusting to 186, which is still highly intense. EWRCs will play a huge role in intensity whether they happen or not, but it's that jet interaction that seems to be enhancing post-landfall winds.

No, not wishful thinking. I didn't post that wind map either, and it was in kilometers per hour which equates to about 154 miles per hour.
I am about to take my morning walk and just get my mind right for this storm. I barely slept last night thinking of the storm and the impact and the all the uncertainty with it. See yall at 12Z suite.

I am about to take my morning walk and just get my mind right for this storm. I barely slept last night thinking of the storm and the impact and the all the uncertainty with it. See yall at 12Z suite.
Have a good walk, don't stress out man, it's gonna do what it's gonna do. No wishful thinking, wish casting, is going to change what happens.

In all likelihood this storm is sadly going to be devastating for a swath of the FL coast between the Panhandle and Tampa. Down here in the Miami area it looks like we've dodged yet another bullet, still looks like it could be a wet and wild few days though with gale force winds and heavy rain possible.

Indeed...the fast forward speed of this rather scary.. I know most will focus on the landfall but if these stronger solutions verify we are looking at a serious and widespread threat for wind damage far inland. .
To your point, HWRF over South GA, 936 and over Atlanta 962.

hwrf_mslp_wind_97L_fh84-84.gif

hwrf_mslp_wind_97L_fh90-90.gif

I’m west of you, but I’m gonna crank mine tonight. Honestly, just fixed my shop and tool shed on Friday from the 70mph thunderstorm winds a month ago. I don’t need more wind damage. The trees are still full of green foliage as well.
I'm fortunate to live in a bit of a valley with underground utilities so weather-related power failures are uncommon. I would think worst case inland wind near me would be 40mph with higher gusts. But with the trees all still leafed out, that is plenty enough to take down plenty of trees of which I have many.

Anyone living at elevation should be especially prepared since the risk of inland wind damage is higher than usual with this setup.

At least Atlanta would be on the west side
Widespread sustained 40 to 60 mph winds is still going to be rough likely if gusts will be 60 to 80 too. I'd bet on widespread power outages if it does come in this intense.
I'm fortunate to live in a bit of a valley with underground utilities so weather-related power failures are uncommon. I would think worst case inland wind near me would be 40mph with higher gusts. But with the trees all still leafed out, that is plenty enough to take down plenty of trees of which I have many.

Anyone living at elevation should be especially prepared since the risk of inland wind damage is higher than usual with this setup.
It wouldn't be so severe if this wasn't phasing with an upper level low coming down. Just like winter storms, when phasing occurs the low gets enhanced and wind fields increase. The speed this flies inland too is only going to make it affect more area with high winds. It'd def be more beneficial if a met chimes in on this though to get a better idea of the outcomes.

Prayers for all in its path. My wife and her sister just spent the weekend in Foley Al/ Glf Shores and she said there’s very little talk about a possible storm and those that are talking saying it won’t be bad 😮. That area is more than likely going to be on the west side but still to blow it off as no threat seems dangerous

Prayers for all in its path. My wife and her sister just spent the weekend in Foley Al/ Glf Shores and she said there’s very little talk about a possible storm and those that are talking saying it won’t be bad 😮. That area is more than likely going to be on the west side but still to blow it off as no threat seems dangerous
That might be too far west to worry. This will only go east. I don’t see west trends if it’s strong.

I know things have been dry in Georgia and Northern Florida so one good thing that will come from what will probably become Hurricane Helene will be the rain it will spread along its path. I don't think that a potential category four hurricane though is the preferred method for drought relief along the area where it ends up coming inland.

To be honest, I have no data to show you or anything, but just a gut feeling that it will probably be a Cat 1 or 2 and will be alittle more east of what some of the models are depicting. Is wishful thinking apart of this? Of course but to see that map that you posted had 248 mph wind gust I believe and cut by 20% to 30% equal around 180 to 200 mph. I just don't see it. It is a fast mover. I am just nervous that it is Monday and we still don't have a clear indication where Helene is going at this point.
i think it is prudent to be weary, especially when an invest has a lot of hype, but over the last decade these types of storms that originate in the western caribbean and get pulled north have met, if not exceeded, intensity expectations. personally i don't think this will be any different

Back