• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

I am wondering if someone can explain the dynamics that would pull it to the west and not east thanks for all the information you guys provide for novice people like me

I'm fortunate to live in a bit of a valley with underground utilities so weather-related power failures are uncommon. I would think worst case inland wind near me would be 40mph with higher gusts. But with the trees all still leafed out, that is plenty enough to take down plenty of trees of which I have many.

Anyone living at elevation should be especially prepared since the risk of inland wind damage is higher than usual with this setup.
In NC, nothing interesting exists for hurricanes.

I am wondering if someone can explain the dynamics that would pull it to the west and not east thanks for all the information you guys provide for novice people like me

It's the upper low over Arkansas

Now I'm not saying it won't shift east nobody knows for sure but that is why the models are so far west right now. Whether they are right or not remains to be seengfs_z500_mslp_us_16.png

The position of the cut off is everything. If it digs more it’s east. Stay west or north it’s going a little west as it’s closer to landfall. Also the H east of Florida is very important . It’s a one state different and it means a lot.

It will perhaps have a pseudo-Fujiwhara Effect on it with a separate upper low parked over Arkansas. Check out link below:

Fujiwhara Effect

you have 3 difference pieces here that will affect the landfall and eventual track.

I would watch for the cutoff to continue an eastward drift and the shortwave over the NE to trend slower deeper which will shift the SER east and shorter which may lead to a slightly east but faster track but then potentially a more dramatic west turn of the remnant L.
1727101200539.png

PTC likely later this morning

Regardless of development, this system is expected to produce heavy
rains over portions of Central America during the next several days.
Interests in the northwestern Caribbean, the Yucatan Peninsula of
Mexico, and western Cuba should closely monitor the progress of this
system, as watches or warnings will likely be required later
this morning for portions of these areas. Later this week, the
system is forecast to move generally northward across the eastern
Gulf of Mexico, and interests along the northern and northeastern
Gulf Coast should also closely monitor the progress of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...80 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...high...90 percent.
It happened!

Well, maybe bad choice of words, just meaning one is not a hurricane. :cool:
no don't worry i get it, i thought and said the exact same thing in a group chat this morning until somebody replied with the 500mb evolution and i was like wow... i stand corrected...
I'd say PCB at the most extreme but that's only if the trough lags behind some. There's a tight consensus though.
to me i'm unsure consensus necessarily equates to certainty, i think the ULL impacting steering injects some more variability than usual- we all know how much of a PITA they can be to forecast

Back