• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Only a million lost power with Zeta and that was a direct hit for ATL. This will miss us East by a good bit. I don’t expect bad power outages
I'm going to save this, just in case. A good bit, 40, 50, 60 miles? That will still rock Atlanta with very high winds and torrential rains, the ground is now saturated, and even 40 to 50 mph is enough to cause power outages and tree damage.

A tick NW of the 06Z run, but yet again, east of the NHC cone. Yes, it's the NAM, yada, yada, yada. This is a 15-hour forecast.
View attachment 151966

Damn, that track would wreck Cedar Key. 😞 Historically, that’s an unlikely place for a hurricane to make landfall, IIRC (the area north of Tampa to the Big Bend). I’ve seen some projected to but that area and track elsewhere in the end (i.e. Charlie - 2004).

I'm going to save this, just in case. A good bit, 40, 50, 60 miles? That will still rock Atlanta with very high winds and torrential rains, the ground is now saturated, and even 40 to 50 mph is enough to cause power outages and tree damage.
Atlanta will be on the far weaker west side. I’m thinking 30-40.

In my limited experience with tropical systems, the strong winds this far inland have seemed to come from the bands … perhaps mixing down. With Opal, memory serves (may not be completely accurate) that we had several inland spin-ups as well. That one hit me hard in Carrollton. Just my 2 cents … probably not worth that. Be safe everyone … prepare for worst and pray for best!

In my limited experience with tropical systems, the strong winds this far inland have seemed to come from the bands … perhaps mixing down. With Opal, memory serves (may not be completely accurate) that we had several inland spin-ups as well. That one hit me hard in Carrollton. Just my 2 cents … probably not worth that. Be safe everyone … prepare for worst and pray for best!
I was in Carrollton for Opal and we had at least 70 mph winds. Many houses on my street had trees fall on them.

Back