• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Down to 960

Hurricane HELENE
As of 12:00 UTC Sep 26, 2024:

Maximum Winds: 85 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 960 mb
Environmental Pressure: N/A
Radius of Circulation: N/A
Radius of Maximum wind: 40 nm

The city lights by night shows the population centers and the size of the Atlanta metro.

GOES16-GM-EXTENT3-1000x1000.gif

I'm not writing any possibility off until tonight for anywhere in GA. This is the most critical time to see what Helene does. A 2 now can mean anything from a 2 to a 4 at landfall tonight especially if deep RI is starting soon. I hope it's not bad but I don't think we should jump to conclusions just yet.
Exactly. And generally GA is so “in it” it’s not going to just get “out of it”. Your power is out at a 50 or 90mph wind gust….thats being said, tracking the details of best to worst case scenario for each MBY is interesting from a weather standpoint.

1012 AM EDT THU SEP 26 2024

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHWESTERN BREVARD COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA...

* UNTIL 1045 AM EDT.

* AT 1012 AM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR TITUSVILLE, MOVING NORTH AT 30 MPH.

Exactly. And generally GA is so “in it” it’s not going to just get “out of it”. Your power is out at a 50 or 90mph wind gust….thats being said, tracking the details of best to worst case scenario for each MBY is interesting from a weather standpoint.
Latest HRRR has southwest side of Atlanta with max gusts around 40 mph. That's not going to result in widespread power outages in my area. Almost zero sustained winds, until Helene passes by to the east and then, strangely, I get west northwest winds at around 20 mph and that's when the gusts show up. It will be around day break when that happens. So far, short range model guidance at around 12 hours is locked on an eastern path through GA. It's going to be really bad for Milledgeville, Athens, Augusta, Statesboro, Macon, etc.

1015 AM EDT THU SEP 26 2024

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN JACKSONVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHEASTERN CAMDEN COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...
WESTERN GLYNN COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...
SOUTHEASTERN WAYNE COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...

* UNTIL 1045 AM EDT.

* AT 1015 AM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
TORNADO WAS LOCATED 7 MILES WEST OF BRUNSWICK, MOVING NORTH AT 40
MPH.

Back