• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

C9660334-9EC3-4432-A1ED-732C1EBB92D3.png JBs daily Wilkesborodud, MS paint maps!

I think this map might have been shared earlier, not sure, but it's obvious her path in the short term..... will not be surprised to a little WSW jog in there as has been mentioned. Not really a lot of good news today overall with Flo
wg8dlm2.GIF

I think this map might have been shared earlier, not sure, but it's obvious her path in the short term..... will not be surprised to a little WSW jog in there as has been mentioned. Not really a lot of good news today overall with Flo
wg8dlm2.GIF
Take that straight to JAX, if we were only dealing with steering ... but thank God there are other players ...

Seems I used to have site bookmarked where you could view the Ukmet ens (mogreps) but I can't find it anywhere.... I know some of you have shared those maps but is there a free site with them?

The 0z BEST track is out and Florence has been downgraded to a tropical storm, the 11 o'clock advisory should reflect this.

AL, 06, 2018090700, , BEST, 0, 250N, 498W, 60, 994, TS

BTW, for those that are curious where to find BEST track when it updates, go the site attached below, these usually come out an hour or two before the official NHC advisory and are 90-95% of the time used verbatim in the NHC advisory packages, occasionally there will be a small tweaks here or there by the experts, especially when storms are undergoing rapid changes in intensity or recon is flying into the storm, but it's nice to have on hand.
http://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/btk/

The 0z BEST track is out and Florence has been downgraded to a tropical storm, the 11 o'clock advisory should reflect this.

AL, 06, 2018090700, , BEST, 0, 250N, 498W, 60, 994, TS

Not surprising either considering the shallow convection and core interruption. Once she gets past the shear it’ll take a day or two before she gets going. Here’s an interesting microwave pass showing the core unraveling.
http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2018_06L/web/displayGifsBy12hr_07.html

I know the Ukmet has a south bias but that is a decent grouping showing FL. Very Irma like at that.

Keep in mind that the 12Z UKMET ensemble initialized 50 miles to the SW of Flo and that all members are currently S of the actual position. Therefore, I expect a further north ensemble mean in the next run. I expect fewer members into FL.

Based on the 0Z estimated latitude of 25.0W, Flo moved straight westward from 5PM through 8PM EDT. Is that as far north as she’ll get for awhile?

Based on the 0Z estimated latitude of 25.0W, Flo moved straight westward from 5PM through 8PM EDT. Is that as far north as she’ll get for awhile?
Yep for the next 2 days she’s supposed to hover near the 25N area.

Keep in mind that the 12Z UKMET ensemble initialized 50 miles to the SW of Flo and that all members are currently S of the actual position. Therefore, I expect a further north ensemble mean in the next run. I expect fewer members into FL.

That is true, but what it tells me is that all of them in that grouping shows a more westward overall motion which would make sense if Florence continues to weaken and becomes more shallow.

The ensembles may miss the initial location but may be right about the general idea.

Going way out on a limb here, with so much uncertainty ... but ... Flo seems to be a nice movie; 92L may be the actor that busts through the 3D screen and into the livingroom ...

Here's some pretty interesting history going back to 1851:
Out of all of the 1,500+ or so TCs on record since 1851, not a single one hit the CONUS that moved NW-NNW-N (315+ degrees) east of 48W! Currently, the furthest east was storm #5 of 1906: it moved NW from 48.0 to 48.4 and then turned NNW for a short time before turning back WNW and later hitting the US:

http://weather.unisys.com/sites/default/files/mnt/webdata/hurricane/atlantic/1906/5/track.gif

IF Flo were to later hit the CONUS, it would establish a new record for the furthest east NW moving storm to later do so as it moved NW starting at 46.6W and continuing through 47.9W.

Last edited:
Back