• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Karen

She's looking healthy this morning, has maintained deep convection all night although the center is I think on the NE side of the main area of convection. Currently trying to develop convection on the east side now too..... it's been resilient in a hostile environment

She does look much better the last 4-6 hrs and the shear is obviously lower now, if a she can get her act together sooner rather than later the threat to the US goes up I think....

Jerry looks really bad, no new storms firing, his center looks elongated on early vis shots, he might be on his last leg and die much sooner than modeled.....most of the model runs that pull Karen NE rely on him being strong and Karen weak, I think the opposite is setting up and I would not be surprised to see minimal interaction at this point.....so then we just got to wait and see what Karen decides to do....

She does look much better the last 4-6 hrs and the shear is obviously lower now, if a she can get her act together sooner rather than later the threat to the US goes up I think....

Jerry looks really bad, no new storms firing, his center looks elongated on early vis shots, he might be on his last leg and die much sooner than modeled.....most of the model runs that pull Karen NE rely on him being strong and Karen weak, I think the opposite is setting up and I would not be surprised to see minimal interaction at this point.....so then we just got to wait and see what Karen decides to do....
To your point the NHC seems to think she will strengthen also and a stronger more stacked system eventually means a westward movement and possible CONUS threat. Not sure what the GFS old and new, Ukie and HWRF are seeing that the Euro isn't

The initial motion is now northward or 360/06 kt. Karen's forecast
track hinges heavily on the future intensity and associated vertical
structure of the cyclone. The GFS, GFS-Legacy, UKMET, and HRWF
dynamical models take a much weaker and more vertically shallow
cyclone northeastward after 48 hours and either continue with that
motion through day 5 or dissipate the system. In contrast, the ECMWF
and many of its stronger ensemble members stall Karen around days
3-4 and then turn the somewhat stronger and deeper cyclone westward
to west-southwestward to the south of a building ridge. Given that
Karen is forecast to be stronger and vertically deeper than the
weaker models, the current track forecast leans more toward the
stronger ECMWF and ECMWF-Ensemble model solutions.
The new NHC
forecast is to the right of the previous advisory track and slower,
especially on days 3-5, but the new track does not extend as far
east as the weaker GFS, UKMET, and HWRF models or the consensus
models that incorporate those three models.

None of the dynamical models, including the HWRF and HMON hurricane
models, show much in the way of strengthening once Karen moves
north of Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands except for the ECMWF model,
despite the very low vertical wind shear conditions that the cyclone
will be moving into by 24 hours and beyond. Given Karen's decent
wind field and vertical structure, the expected low shear
conditions, moist mid-level environment, and SSTs of more than 29
deg C for the next 48 hours or so, forecasting at least slow but
steady strengthening seems to be quite reasonable.

Karen looks like she's just wandering around at the Jimmy Buffet concert after having too many White Claws.

Eric said water much colder Florida to NC after the major hurricanes. Would limit Karen if she did come or weaken her more.

The 6Z Euro, which ends at hour 90 (Fri evening), then has her 125-150 miles north of the 0Z Euro, which had her 27N, 60W at the pause. The 6Z has her paused at 29N, 60W.

My source for the 6Z EPS suggests that whereas many members don’t become an actual TC, about 2/3-3/4 of the ones that do become a TC move W or at least with some W component of motion starting Saturday after moving NNE and then reaching the 60-62W area Friday night while the others pretty much stall. It is impossible to tell how many would have gone on to hit the CONUS because it ends at 144. The 0Z had about 15% hit (8 members).

11am update
Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 11.00.02 AM.png
INIT 24/1500Z 17.5N 65.8W 35 KT 40 MPH
12H 25/0000Z 19.1N 65.4W 35 KT 40 MPH
24H 25/1200Z 21.3N 64.9W 40 KT 45 MPH
36H 26/0000Z 23.6N 64.1W 45 KT 50 MPH
48H 26/1200Z 25.5N 63.4W 50 KT 60 MPH
72H 27/1200Z 27.8N 62.0W 55 KT 65 MPH
96H 28/1200Z 28.0N 62.5W 60 KT 70 MPH
120H 29/1200Z 27.5N 65.0W 60 KT 70 MPH

GFS still basically kills this off and has what's left, open wave and moisture, heading west @186.

Basically dissipates after this

6z and now 12z gfs has Karen what seems like she's stopping in her tracks before approaching Florida and curving. What's new?

Karen never even comes close to the southeast US
. My guess is that this is gonna be the trend. That's ok, bring on that cold front we all been waiting for.

The 12Z UKMET is a mess and it initialized her 40 miles too far north:

1) First, it has Karen fall apart quickly:
TROPICAL STORM KAREN ANALYSED POSITION : 17.8N 65.8W

ATCF IDENTIFIER : AL122019

LEAD CENTRAL MAXIMUM WIND
VERIFYING TIME TIME POSITION PRESSURE (MB) SPEED (KNOTS)
-------------- ---- -------- ------------- -------------
1200UTC 24.09.2019 0 17.8N 65.8W 1009 25
0000UTC 25.09.2019 12 CEASED TRACKING

2) Then it redevelops her at hour 36 only to have her again fall apart at hour 72:
NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 36 HOURS
FORECAST POSITION AT T+ 36 : 24.2N 63.6W

LEAD CENTRAL MAXIMUM WIND
VERIFYING TIME TIME POSITION PRESSURE (MB) SPEED (KNOTS)
-------------- ---- -------- ------------- -------------
0000UTC 26.09.2019 36 24.2N 63.6W 1008 26
1200UTC 26.09.2019 48 26.2N 62.5W 1008 26
0000UTC 27.09.2019 60 27.9N 60.8W 1008 26
1200UTC 27.09.2019 72 CEASED TRACKING

I can't get the gif to upload but use the link below, you can see 2 spins going on..... Karen isn't stacked, the center appears to be NE of the deep convection but there is some mid level rotation, if the center were to relocate under that could get interesting real quick.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/~mnissenbaum/RadarArchive/TJUA/loop.html

edit: Well darn, I didn't see Ethan's post and looking at recon I guess the center is under that deep convection hmmm

IF the new center is confirmed to be down at ~17.1N, 65.9W as of ~16:35 Z, that would be like 100 miles SW of the 6Z Euro and way south of the 12Z UKMET as it had her already all the way up to 17.8N way back at 12Z! But that may not be the new center.

As @pcbjr often emphasizes, the modeling will be in more question than usual until a true center is confirmed and model initialization can be compared to that center.

IF the new center is confirmed to be down at ~17.1N, 65.9W as of ~16:35 Z, that would be like 100 miles SW of the 6Z Euro and way south of the 12Z UKMET as it had her already all the way up to 17.8N way back at 12Z! But that may not be the new center.

As @pcbjr often emphasizes, the modeling will be in more question than usual until a true center is confirmed and model initialization can be compared to that center.

May not be but according to recon, that's the center..... but it's also a broad center, so while IR sat looks stout it's not nearly as organized as those images suggest imo. I could be wrong though certainly will not be the first time

Looks like it did reform though not as far south

...KAREN SLIGHTLY STRONGER AS THE CENTER REFORMS A LITTLE TO THE
WEST...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM AST...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.5N 66.0W
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM S OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
ABOUT 80 MI...130 KM W OF ST. CROIX
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH...70 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 0 DEGREES AT 8 MPH...13 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB...29.68 INCHES

Back