• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Karen

On the N American view, I was just noticing the model trend to a much weaker E US ridge for 9/28 though stronger WAR. On the GFS, check out the 168 hr of 0Z vs 162 hr of 6Z vs 156 hr of 12Z vs 150 hr of 18Z. That's a pretty drastic trend that doesn't look like it has ended. If this trend keeps up, what are the implications for Karen?

FWIW, icyclone says he has tingles about this storm. Believes US hit. Would you evac if he showed up at your hometown to ride out the storm? Think Oak Island, Myrtle Beach, Daytona, etc.

18Z GFS has hardly anything as the remnants move westward. It is hard to even identify.
18Z Legacy is stronger but it is further east near Bermuda at hour 180 though hardly moving.

FWIW, icyclone says he has tingles about this storm. Believes US hit. Would you evac if he showed up at your hometown to ride out the storm? Think Oak Island, Myrtle Beach, Daytona, etc.
I’d be panicked if I had to drive through Wilkesboro

I don’t think at this juncture, we should be worried about strength, just the basic path

18Z GEFS is once again a GEFS run with all weak to very weak members, most of which probably do come west.

Edit: 12Z JMA fwiw: stalls Karen at 120 as a weak low and then turns her west toward FL though while she is weakening to an open wave.

Last edited:
yeah I don't think with the ridging that's possible that the question is where this ends up at least for now, the actual question is what are we going to see of Karen once it gets on the move to possibly more favorable conditions.

what we have of right now is a tropical depression, if anything at all I bet.

Fwiw, the GFS...lol, I think it somehow ends up combining with a front and it brings relief but it's a long way away.

Dr. Jeff Masters said he wouldn’t be surprised if shear destroys Karen. The eastern Caribbean is a graveyard. North of Puerto Rico would be more favorable for development.

Back