• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern July

HRRR has widespread storms today and very solid instability. Roughly 4K CAPE and PWAT of 2”+ and DCAPE of 800+. Should be an active day and I imagine wind damage could be an issue in some of the stronger cells. It also looks like storm movement will be slow so some street and flash flooding could occur in some of the heavy and slow moving cells.

1562241860513.png

Not even 10am and lightning like crazy in Statesville

Mid level cloud deck went bye bye and temps went through the roof 89/76

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mid level cloud deck went bye bye and temps went through the roof 89/76

Yeah it's miserable outside, hope those mid and upper 70 oppressive DP's help yield some healing skies soon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah it's miserable outside, hope those mid and upper 70 oppressive DP's help yield some healing skies soon

Same here. There looks to be a pretty well defined surface trough along or just west of US1 and the last frame on the satellite shows some CU going up there. If convection starts there it should have a tendency to move slowly E or ESE so that could work well for us

That seems a little high. Most of the reporting stations I see are only in the mid 90s.

Tell that to my thermometer. Two days ago was similarly hotter but yesterday was cooler. Right now it largely depends on cloudcover variations and nearby cooling convection. Actually, I hear thunder. So, my high may have already been reached at 99.3. As of 1:25, I’m already down to 97.3.
Edit: down to 96.9 at 1:28.
Edit: touched 99.3 again at 1:36 before quickly falling back as the wind swirls to 97.8 at 1:38. So, there’s a battle between the sun’s near peak of the day location and convection locates not too many miles to the north. Fun to watch.

Last edited:
Same here. There looks to be a pretty well defined surface trough along or just west of US1 and the last frame on the satellite shows some CU going up there. If convection starts there it should have a tendency to move slowly E or ESE so that could work well for us

Convection firing everywhere...

Tell that to my thermometer. Two days ago was similarly hotter but yesterday was cooler. Right now it largely depends on cloudcover variations and nearby cooling convection. Actually, I hear thunder. So, my high may have already been reached at 99.3. As of 1:25, I’m already down to 97.3.
Edit: down to 96.9 at 1:28.
Edit: touched 99.3 again at 1:36 before quickly falling back as the wind swirls to 97.8 at 1:38. So, there’s a battle between the sun’s near peak of the day location and convection locates not too many miles to the north. Fun to watch.

New high of day with a quick spike to 100.2 at 2:05 here as the convection just a few miles north doesn’t get closer and weakens. Then it quickly fell back a degree. It really is fascinating watching the thermometer on a mostly sunny afternoon as you realize that the temp tends to spike up and down within about a 2-3 degree envelope. That envelope itself warms and cools depending on the general conditions and time of day.

Meanwhile, KSAV was only 97 at 2PM with a thunderstorm on its doorstep. So, 97 may end up as its high.
At 2:14, I’m back down to 98.6 but then back up to 99.5 at 2:16. With the nearby convection, including debris cirrostratus, and regardless of whether I actually get a drop of rain, there’s a good chance that 100.2 ends up as my high.

Edit: Spiked down to 96.2 at 2:42 before spiking back above 98. Despite mostly sunny and the nearby convection having fallen apart, we probably now have a seabreeze thus cooling the 3 or so degree envelope enough to mean my 2:05 high of 100.2 should be the day’s high.

Last edited:
Starting to get that I'm going to miss out feeling

We are. The air sink anomaly has set up camp in our area. See?View attachment 20768
Oh I see it
f1edb6dde48a049fd872a174cdde9087.jpg

Back