• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

Euro looks interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure does. Slow the second wave and get some separation and you probably get a nice a Miller A with a closed 500mb low. Well that didn't take long to start seeing another southern snow threat.

The stranger thing is the Euro and GFS are in decent agreement. When does that happen.

Would be great if this January is a repeat of January 2000. There were a few smaller events in Jan 2000 like yesterday before the Carolina Crusher. We were also in a Nina back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Temp did not make it above 32 here today and does not look like it made at RDU either, which means most likely the below freezing streak will continue through Saturday and very possible through Sunday. That would be an incredible 7 days below freezing which would set the record....

Probably got slightly above but they don’t count 10ths of degrees.

Sure does. Slow the second wave and get some separation and you probably get a nice a Miller A with a closed 500mb low. Well that didn't take long to start seeing another southern snow threat.

The stranger thing is the Euro and GFS are in decent agreement. When does that happen.
Lol when is this ? Maybe I didn't look at the right Euro run . I saw nothing of interest

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

You mean at or below.

Yes at or below and if you look at the stats posted by Rah NWS there were 2 days at 32 that may have been 32.1 but as you stated they don't count tenths. Splitting hairs.... either way an impressive and potentially record setting cold streak.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well this looks fun
c3ef76112b598b163f24500b8cf54910.jpg

Well this looks fun
c3ef76112b598b163f24500b8cf54910.jpg

:(
But then again, if it happens, it may be a precursor to a reload ... at least we have the PNA working for us (admittedly, the EPO and NAO don't look too good, and the MJO superficially sucks, though).

The EPS also shows a s/w digging into the southeast with a big ridge out west in this same time frame. Interesting agreement between the Euro and GFS and their respective ensembles.

I thought this was interesting (From NASA via ABC33/40 weather office):

STRANGE CLOUDS ARE CIRCLING ANTARCTICA: NASA’s AIM spacecraft is monitoring a vast ring of noctilucent (night-shining) clouds circling Antarctica. These strange clouds, formed at the edge of space by ice-frosted specks of meteor smoke, may be linked through recently discovered teleconnections to cold weather patterns in the USA

Back