• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

18z gfs says hold off on that thread and then start looking 10 days out again. This has been a very frustrating pattern. 2 solid week of very cold weather and zip for moisture. Verga almost made it here today... I was having fu
n looking at Hilton head webcams though.:weenie:
The gfs didn’t look right. It kicked the GFS way to fast and the cold was there the entire storm. Around 34°

The gfs didn’t look right. It kicked the GFS way to fast and the cold was there the entire storm. Around 34°
Well FFC is "nibbling" a bit more at the Sun/Mon potential
.LONG TERM /Friday through Wednesday/...
The main change to the extended forecast was Sunday night into early
Monday. The potential for wintry precip has increased.

There are two systems to be watching for imo. The one this Sunday/Monday and then possibly next Thursday/Fridayish. But we’ll see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My highs are 55 both Tuesday and Wednesday, so I need to reel in the Sun/Mon event

Great, another system that gives more winter weather to the south of here.
I look at it differently. I saw a tiny bit of snow already (barely 1"). Even if I saw 0" snow, the folks in FL and south GA and coastal SC who rarely ever see it, are experiencing this today. It brought them a lot of happiness, joy and wonder. It was worth it for me to miss out in order for those with less to have a bit of the action.

I look at it differently. I saw a tiny bit of snow already (barely 1"). Even if I saw 0" snow, the folks in FL and south GA and coastal SC who rarely ever see it, are experiencing this today. It brought them a lot of happiness, joy and wonder. It was worth it for me to miss out in order for those with less to have a bit of the action.
Wow, you are more charitable on snow than most of us. It sure wasn't worth it to those of us that watched the storm a few weeks ago just miss us to the south and now this. This didn't make me feel one bit good,lol:D

I know there is practically no model support, but think if that 500mb storm closes off monday there could be the biggest surprise from a cold core. It's been a while so we're dew one? The Nam seems to be hinting at the 850s crashing with it.

To be honest, i wouldn't mind if the pattern relaxed for a little bit. Give us little warm weather and then reload end of month into Fab Feb.

To be honest, i wouldn't mind if the pattern relaxed for a little bit. Give us little warm weather and then reload end of month into Fab Feb.

If long range ensembles are correct, enjoy the "normal" next week because then we reload. Both EPS and GEFS continue to strengthen the -EPO with spikes of +PNA thrown in there. They also go bonkers with the Aluetian low in the mid to long range, especially the EPS. This is not a warm look.

500h_anom.na.png

If long range ensembles are correct, enjoy the "normal" next week because then we reload. Both EPS and GEFS continue to strengthen the -EPO with spikes of +PNA thrown in there. They also go bonkers with the Aluetian low in the mid to long range, especially the EPS. This is not a warm look.

500h_anom.na.png
It also screams suppression like we just dealt with. Not good.

Need cold to get wintry precip! Take my chances with precip. Even having 3 storms miss South or vanish completely, hope springs eternal! This winter has been a win so far with just the extreme cold! I've had 2 lows in the single digits already, havnt had that in 5-6 winters! Anything else is gravy!

Yesterday you said the storm at 240 on the Euro would head to the Ohio Valley and no more cold air in the future after this week. Now you are talking suppression after next week. Do you have any constructive analysis to bring to the table or do you just complain that we will not get snow no matter what the maps show?

Yesterday you said the storm at 240 on the Euro would head to the Ohio Valley and no more cold air in the future after this week. Now you are talking suppression after next week. Do you have any constructive analysis to bring to the table or do you just complain that we will not get snow no matter what the maps show?
I said the image posted screamed suppression. My opinion is that we go back to near normal temps with Ohio Valley storms. Im sorry you cant distinguish an between an actual opinion on what may or may not happen with what a particular image indicates.

That doesn't scream suppression at all.

IMO, with that strong of a northern stream, if that look were to verify, we would be facing the same large scale synoptic pattern we are in at this time. JMO though, and as I have stated before, that doesn't make a hill of beans around here. Much smarter minds here than me.

IMO, with that strong of a northern stream, if that look were to verify, we would be facing the same large scale synoptic pattern we are in at this time. JMO though, and as I have stated before, that doesn't make a hill of beans around here. Much smarter minds here than me.
Dry cold. Can take hike. Enough

I said the image posted screamed suppression. My opinion is that we go back to near normal temps with Ohio Valley storms. Im sorry you cant distinguish an between an actual opinion on what may or may not happen with what a particular image indicates.
The image you are referring to does not scream suppression. Yes it is a trough in the east and a ridge in the west, but not nearly as strong or as deep to suppress the pattern anything like we have now. What stood out more to me was that less than 24 hours after you argued that a storm would head to the Ohio Valley, you are saying the pattern will be suppressed for the same period.

There's a reason it looks that way. If you analyze models in the long range, you will realize that they often appear more suppressed than when it gets closer. Models get the general idea in the long range, not the actual result. It's the +PNA and -EPO that we need to pay attention to more than red and blue. In addition, this is just one model run and things do change from run to run, data set to data set.

Back