• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

Ummmmm..... Somebody look at the CMC run and to some extent GFS for Monday !!!! Ice storm crush job from ATL to CLT!! Flying under radars!!

Ummmmm..... Somebody look at the CMC run and to some extent GFS for Monday !!!! Ice storm crush job from ATL to CLT!! Flying under radars!!
We are all too busy watching this storm at the moment. If it gets within 72 hours I'll start a thread or allow one to be started. Not going to let this pseudo storm thread happen again after all that wasted potential of storms lol.

Yeah after today passes plenty of time to review the 8th thru the 13th period GFS and CMC have definitely hinted at chance for CAD/ICE or overrunning snow in those periods past 3-4 runs and both are 5-9 day range which means nothing as we've seen

Yeah, it crushes ATL GSP CLT RAH' with ice!!!! But I'm in the bullseye at 5 days out! I hope RAH ends up in the bullseye, y'all do well with ice!
We can't even get ice anymore. Last big ice storm was 2002.

I've been watching that time frame. Watch for suppression. Trending further south with vorticity at 500 mb and the surface low for a few runs now.
The Euro's got a storm, snow for N GA and TN.
ecmwf_acc_snow_eastcoastus_162.png

I've been watching that time frame. Watch for suppression. Trending further south with vorticity at 500 mb and the surface low for a few runs now.
Meh, no Arctic high up north. There's a stale Arctic airnass in place, as precip arrives, in GSP area, temps in 20s with DP in single digits. In situ damming would lock in. About 5 days out, don't see it getting squashed, but who knows

With temps rising next week the best you could hope for most everyone outside of the NC/Tenn mountains is zr starting and then changing to plain rain after a short period of icing in the foothills and western NC

With temps rising next week the best you could hope for most everyone outside of the NC/Tenn mountains is zr starting and then changing to plain rain after a short period of icing in the foothills and western NC
Not with a stout wedge. If we get a wedge and we wetbulb below freezing, it will be nasty until it stops raining. Once the rain starts and its subfreezing, it will stay that way. Only way out is it starts later in the day. Get it earlier and it's a bad situation.

Not with a stout wedge. If we get a wedge and we wetbulb below freezing, it will be nasty until it stops raining. Once the rain starts and its subfreezing, it will stay that way. Only way out is it starts later in the day. Get it earlier and it's a bad situation.
Yep! Basically what the CMC shows! Worse case scenario

Back