• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

Maybe we don’t toss I see a general trend to rising heights in the PNA region .. this is key and we will hope this continues on subsequent runs
My biggest fear is there’s to much interaction between the Aleutian low and TPV and it just dumps a trough in the NE US and quickly backs off after

You can see a good bit of what is expected in a nina here. Extend the jet enough so that you cut off the existing ridge, feed cold into Noam, get a consolidated vortex near Hudson Bay and a ridge along the WC maybe as far east as the rockies. In time the jet will start to relax and retract and we will see this pattern begin its retrogression and toward more of the SER dominate late winter pattern. The big question will be how long does it stay favorable? My guess would be we have until around 2/1 if we are lucky before it's backing out. Big wildcard would be trying to wave break a -nao as things move west

You can see a good bit of what is expected in a nina here. Extend the jet enough so that you cut off the existing ridge, feed cold into Noam, get a consolidated vortex near Hudson Bay and a ridge along the WC maybe as far east as the rockies. In time the jet will start to relax and retract and we will see this pattern begin its retrogression and toward more of the SER dominate late winter pattern. The big question will be how long does it stay favorable? My guess would be we have until around 2/1 before it's backing out
Short time to cash in.

Reactions: SD
12Z EPS is warmer on some days in the SE vs 0Z but is actually colder 1/6-7 and on 1/11. I wouldn’t read too much into late week 2 as that’s the part that is the least credible of the 2 weeks since it jumps around the most even if this run doesn’t look great then.

Edit: hoping for El Niño next winter.

Last edited:
Short time to cash in.
Probably and if we go the route of the eps we may not have much time to cash in or anything to cash in on. The lack of polar blocking and the retraction of the pv poleward is concerning. This is incredibly meh we probably get an intense cold shot or 2 from this look and avg near to bn but it doesn't exactly make me jump around in excitementecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500-2075200 (2).png

Probably and if we go the route of the eps we may not have much time to cash in or anything to cash in on. The lack of polar blocking and the retraction of the pv poleward is concerning. This is incredibly meh we probably get an intense cold shot or 2 from this look and avg near to bn but it doesn't exactly make me jump around in excitementView attachment 99725
Other then the SPV evolution, look sorta reminds me of jan 2019. Intense but short lived cold duration. I like the overall theme but this pattern is very prone to delays and quickly exiting

Other then the SPV evolution, look sorta reminds me of jan 2019. Intense but short lived cold duration. I like the overall theme but this pattern is very prone to delays and quickly exiting
Eps had 2 opportunities to link up western ridging to the ridge near ak and drop the hammer but didn't. Something to watch I guess.
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500-1427200 (2).png
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500-1643200.png

18z GFS is better for the upcoming possible snow event. The trough is digging deeper, but it still needs more tilt for a significant widespread winter storm.
2f015001a69eb58d01a44ed6bbd7ac71.jpg

18z GFS is better for the upcoming possible snow event. The trough is digging deeper, but it still needs more tilt for a significant widespread winter storm.
2f015001a69eb58d01a44ed6bbd7ac71.jpg

Yeah, the most important thing we want to see is simply more consoldiation of energy around the base of the trough axis and more neutral/possible neg tilt. Better for N. GA/AL than 12z for sure.

Back