• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

I’m sorry but that just isn’t true . Top 5 warmest December . Not too mention the cold days were seen . Jesus man you have been harping this since November . I got to respect it , eventually it will be right . I would like to see some maxar maps on how biased the models have been . Perhaps I’m wrong , but I’d like to see em!

Indeed, easily in top 3 warmest Decembers for KATL and top 4 for Charlotte back to 1879!

I haven’t seen maps, but they’ve said the obvious about a cold bias of the models in the E US in week 2:

On Wednesday they said: “The trends continue a theme seen for most of the heating season thus far, with models being too cold in their longer range projections.”

——————
So, there has clearly been a cold bias in the E US in recent weeks with all of the teases of a turn to colder. Sure there have been some short periods here and there that have ended up colder than models but the times it ended up warmer easily outweighed. The clearest evidence is the top 4 warmest December in the SE.

Indeed, easily in top 3 warmest Decembers for KATL and top 4 for Charlotte back to 1879!

I haven’t seen maps, but they’ve said the obvious about a cold bias of the models in the E US in week 2:

On Wednesday they said: “The trends continue a theme seen for most of the heating season thus far, with models being too cold in their longer range projections.”

——————
So, there has clearly been a cold bias in the E US in recent weeks with all of the teases of a turn to colder. Sure there have been some short periods here and there that have ended up colder than models but the times it ended up warmer easily outweighed. The clearest evidence is the top 4 warmest December in the SE.
A lot of the contribution to those extremely above average anomalies have been above average lows. At least over this way it hasn’t been a bunch of 60’s and 70’s for highs this December like models were showing when we were coming into the month.

——————
Thank you! It was obvious but I needed a little factual backing and second opinions ! There you have it folks , it’s not 2020-2021 . The models are back to the same old cold bias in the long range .

A lot of the contribution to those extremely above average anomalies have been above average lows. At least over this way it hasn’t been a bunch of 60’s and 70’s for highs this December like models were showing when we were coming into the month.
I counted 13 days 60+ and quite a few of those were over 70 in Spartanburg . Including one day in the upper 70s. Lows have actually been closer to normal. So this analysis doesn’t hold up either . I’ll be nicer and go further north to Shelby nc. Same thing , with quite a bit of lows in the 20s.

It's going to be a New Years to remember if the 12z GEM is right.

Severe weather outbreak in MO/OK and Blizzard in MN/WI.

Not at your location, but the official GSP station has had 12 of the first 24 days with highs in the 60s+. Also, the forecast is for 60+ the rest of the month, which would make it 19 of the 31 days with 60+ in a month. That’s about double the longterm average of only 9. Only 4 Decembers on record back to 1895 have had 19+ days with highs of 60+ at GSP: 1956, 1971, 1984, and 2015 (22, the record most days). Wouldn’t it be nice for cold lovers if this were somehow another 1984? One can always dream.

Last edited:

Not entirely true. The highs on average have been even more impressive across much of the South.

At least further east from here, it just hasn't felt like it because I suspect it's mostly been rainy/gloomy on those warm days.

*For ATL, the average low is only 5°F above average while the average high is 6°F above average

*For CLT, the average low is only 3°F above average while the average high is 6°F above average

*For RAH, the average low is only 3°F above average while the average high is 6°F above average

*For BHM, the average low is only 5°F above average while the average high is 8°F above average

*For BNA, the average low is only 5°F above average while the average high is 6°F above average

*For DFW, the average low is only 9°F above average while the average high is 13°F above average

*For HOU, the average low is only 10°F above average while the average high is 9°F above average

Last edited:
So is Iowa apparently

Iowa is north of the Mason-Dixon line, was never a part of the Confederate states, was never a Slave state, doesn't have Waffle House/Zaxby's/Bojangles and doesn't have college football teams in the SE conference.

All of the above applies (or very soon will apply) to Texas.

dd9e795635785223be4ea56e28f83d4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back