• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

I know it's la la land but at least the arctic blast was under 350 this time and imo it looked like the changes that occurred that allowed that cold to finally come SE starting to take shape around 240, so pattern change still may very well be on schedule here.
meh. I’d wait and see if the GEFS agrees

12z GFS wasn't bad. It bring the first freeze of the season to many in the deep south region on the morning of January 3, with highs struggling to get to the 50s on Monday across the area. At least the pattern shift seems be getting its date bearings now - right after the New Year.
prateptype_cat.conus.png

07687BD7-C232-44F0-A069-4121F1104DC8.png
Has the GEFS been trending cooler on Christmas? (For the Carolinas) never mind just looked at the 2m temps

The reason I say there really isn't anything to be encouraged about on the 12z GEFS, the pattern near the end of the run is literally no different than the one we're dealing with around Christmas.

View attachment 98612

View attachment 98611

The only real difference is the cold air over western Canada has spilled southward into the western US and out into parts of the Great Plains, but ultimately it is still just as crummy of a pattern as we're in now (taken verbatim of course). If I was in the SE US, I'd want to see the Gulf of Alaska ridge move towards the West Coast, before I feel any legitimate hope of getting cold/snow.

The reason I say there really isn't anything to be encouraged about on the 12z GEFS, the pattern near the end of the run is literally no different than the one we're dealing with around Christmas.

View attachment 98612

View attachment 98611
More smoothed out means in the long range and we all know long range always changes but as long as we’re in that pattern in the heart of winter there is always room for overrunning or CAD with this pattern

Back