• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

You're probably one of the last people on this forum that should be trying to lecture someone about getting overly excited for 300+ hr model runs.
I like seeing them, I don’t put stock into them. I’m not lecturing you ? just saying it’ll probably change. If not cool but we’ve seen 240 images change completely as we close in so obviously 300+ most likely will change as well

Are we cancelling the favorable period of 1st half of January for the deep South based on one suite of model runs? Is there something I missed?
Yes haven’t you heard. If the runs are good it means nothing because they can flip to a bad run next..however if the runs are bad then winter is cancelled these runs can’t be flipped to good runs.

Two items keep getting reinforced on the modeling: the SER and the -PNA.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_nhem_11.png

Everyone and their mother likes to act like they’ve been consistently forecasting January to be unfavorable however If I were to go back 3 pages the commentary would be polar opposite. Models have been horrible this year so I see no reason why I should be worrying about what their spitting out this far out. If you’re reacting negatively this post applies to you.

Lots of ENSO/Nina interference to blame. Even w/ -NAO and eQBO, it's harder to get the convection to move eastward into the CP when the SSTs are generally too cold to support it

Do you think we get into a colder pattern at all with phase 7 in January if it happens like that or have u lost confidence?

Everyone and their mother likes to act like they’ve been consistently forecasting January to be unfavorable however If I were to go back 3 pages the commentary would be polar opposite. Models have been horrible this year so I see no reason why I should be worrying about what their spitting out this far out.

This is whamby-level nonsense.

Back